Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmienflorida

Loropetalum

kimmienflorida
21 years ago

Can someone tell me if "pizzaz" is a dwarf? If not can someone recommend a dwarf variety?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• rosemariero
    21 years ago

My L. chinense v. rubrum 'Pizzazz' is no higher than a foot-probably less. I wasn't aware of it being dwarf & I've been waiting on it to spurt...since I've had it in the ground for about 2 yrs. now.

I've just found that this plant has many synonymns. Apparently, 'Pizzazz' is another name for 'Plum Delight'. You'll also find more info under the names 'Hines Burgundy' & 'Hines Purpleleaf'. Only one reference I found has 4-6' listed, but I doubt it. I did fine one site saying that 'Little Red' was a compact form.

~Rosemarie

• kimmienflorida
    Original Author
    21 years ago

The ones planted that I've seen around the city here in Tallahassee are tremendously tall. I really like the look and foilage but need a dwarf. Thank you for your help!

• Nigella
    21 years ago

I planted a Pink Pizzaz and a Plum Delight. The Plum Delight blooms earlier and heavier than the Pink Pizzaz, but both are tall and wide. I don't think it comes in a dwarf, at least, I've never seen one.

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

Ruby and Suzanne are the two most compact forms. Ruby is showing up more often in the nurseries in Birmingham, but still not at the discount centers. I don't believe either of these are really true dwarfs. They are just more compact than the other forms, which eventually get very very large. I actually have seen a lot of pruned Loropetalums that look pretty good even as tight purple hedges - of course they completely lose their airy, open form, but still look good. No doubt lose the majority of their flowers as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Dirr Article on Loropetalums

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Hmmmm, the plants I bought were labeled Plum Delight and Pink Pizzaz, and the Plum Delight has consistenly bloomed earlier and better than the Pizzaz. I am shocked beyond words to read that they are one and the same, they certainly haven't behaved that way in my garden.

• Lynn45
    20 years ago

I have been trying to find a loropetalum for a smaller space. It sounds like choosing a particular plant is going to be questionable, size-wise. What about Razzleberri (Monvaz?)? From what I read, it gets 2 to 4' tall (one source) or 4 to 6' tall (another source) and is 4 to 5' wide. Anyone have experience with this one?

Thanks - Lynn

ps On the Pizazz, I found internet info saying everything from "max ht 4'" to "6' X 10'." I am beginning to feel a little frustrated.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

I don't know what variety my gardener planted for me, but in the past year it has stayed 1' tall, and is even shorter now, with the CA poppies leaning all over it. I keep waiting for it to get bigger -- it's gotten wider, but not much taller.

The leaves are dark purple, fading to greenish, lots of flowers at least.

• Lynn45
    20 years ago

Well, now I know why they say don't post your question more than a couple of times. I searched for loropetalum & asked questions on several strands (is that want they are called?). Am having trouble keeping up. Guess that is part of being new. Haven't ever done this before - on any site. This is fun, though!

Thanks for your imput. I'm about to decide to have the loropetalum removed that my garden person put in without my saying I wanted it - it is bumped up against the back corner of my porch on each side next to the house. Unless she can find out what kind of loropetalum it is. Or maybe not. . . I am so decisive!!!

• jambu
    20 years ago

Remember, any woody shrub can be pruned to suit hte size of the area. Granted if you want a shrub to only get to 3' tall, plant a cultivar that would grow no bigger than 4-5' max so that the plant doesn't look sick and leggy even after the pruning. Pruning 'Burgundy' down to 3-4' would NOT be a good/healthy bet.

In general, 'Suzanne' seems to be a great small loro, and in my opinion, look the best if you wanted to keep it small even with a slight haircut every summer.

Here's a list I've found to help "clarify" trademarked patented names with cultivars and common names of Loropetalum:

ÂBlushÂÂalso known as: Razzleberri, Piroche Form, ÂDaybreakÂs FlameÂ

ÂZhuzhou FuchsiaÂÂalso known as: ÂPipaÂs RedÂ

Plum Delight Âalso known as: ÂHines PurpleleafÂ, ÂHines BurgundyÂ, PizzazzÂ
    Loros with only one name: ÂBicolorÂ
    ÂBurgundyÂ
    Fire Dance
    ÂPink PearlÂ
    ÂRubyÂ
    ÂSizzlin PinkÂ
    ÂSuzanneÂ
    ÂVariegated FormÂ

• brittsgrams
    15 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to take cuttings and grow them? I have 3 small shrubs and want to make more out of them. I am using them for their beauty and as a natural fencing around my hot tub. Thanks in advance!

• nckev11
    14 years ago

'purple pixie' is a small grower that gets 2.5-3' tall and 4-5' wide that looks just like the 'pizzaz' but slightly more compact.

• loveofgardening
    10 years ago

I'm new to this site, just today. I too am researching this plant/shrub. I am totally confused. I would like some clarification as to which of these shrubs is the lowest growing??

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County