Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlanta_gardener

Chartreuse foliage for perennial garden?

atlanta_gardener
20 years ago

I love the look of chartreuse foliage in perennial gardens. Does anyone have any favorites to recommend? I'm also interested in adding some silver foliage as well. Thanks for your help!

Comments (19)

• kathicville
    20 years ago

Hi...If you've got a shady spot, you might consider a toad lily (tricyrtis, sp?) that has wonderful lime green leaves---I think it might be called "Emperor." Pretty bright/light green foliage all summer, and then in the fall it puts out tiny orchid-like blooms. I think you can find it at Plant Delights nursery; other places, no doubt, too.....

• valeriepa
    19 years ago

Spiderwort'sweet kate'
    vinca'illumination'
    Also varieties of thyme and sage

• KarenTX8b
    19 years ago

Ipomea batatas "Margarita" aka chartreuse sweet potato vine is turning out to be a perennial in my yard. I planted one plant last year, and it filled a 6'x10' area. Now that it's warming up, there are little Margaritas coming up all over the area where I planted the first one. The "mother" plant formed large tubers over our long growing season. Depending on your microclimate there in Atlanta, it might do the same for you. And you can't get much more chartreuse than "Margarita". ;-)

• omniphasic
    19 years ago

Lysimachia 'Goldilocks'has my vote-it spreads very quickly.Also-Sedum makonoi 'Ogon'-it prefers a little shade to retain its color.
    There are some excellent golden leaved Zonal Geraniums available now,and they have the coolest coloring!

• Bossy vossy
    19 years ago

hostas Golden Prayers, Hottsy Tottsy, August Moon
    ipomea Marguerite
    and the old standby: creeping jenny

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

I just picked up a perennial called Scrophularia 'Lemon and Lime'. Do a google search and you can see the picture!

• arbo_retum
    19 years ago

seems like you've received lots of great perennial ideas. just wanted to remind you that shrubs can also add a great deal of texture/color/massing relief from perennials. chartreuse shrubs you might consider are: philadelphus aurea,
    various variegated forsythias incl. suwan gold and golden times; and ilex sunsplash. weigela rubidor is bigger than these but great,golden barberry is very slow growing so can be small presence in a border for many yrs.

a few new golden/chartreuse perennials i've added to my gardens: tradescantia- yellow; tricyrtis 'guilty pleasures, caryopteris snow fairy and centaurea'gold bullion'.hope you're doing a lot of dk.ppl. to alleviate the chartreuse; the arching powder/steel blue of rosa glauca is also a wonderful counterbalance for chartreuse.

• clairabelle
    19 years ago

Perhaps not yet mentioned:
    For full shade area, Hakonechloa, perennial ornemental grass. The darker the shade, the more spectacular the punch! Variegated grassy leaves (chartreuse+yellow), slow grower, 15 inches max. height

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

The creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea') and Artemisia 'Oriental Limelight' are both aggressive spreaders in the garden, especially in rich soil.

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Carytoperis worchester gold.......

• susanlynne48
    19 years ago

I just picked up a new centaurea this spring with lime green foliage and a bright purple flower. It is startlingly glamourous to say the least.

SusanLynne

• maureen_ottawa
    19 years ago

For chartreuse foliage
    Heuchera Lime Rickey
    Pulmonaria Irish Spring
    Dicentra Goldheart
    Hosta Lemon Lime
    Hosta Lime Piecrust

For silver foliage,
    Athyrium Ghost
    Pulmonaria Majeste
    Pulmonaria Excalibur
    Brunnera Looking Glass

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

I've got two neon-gold spireas- one's a short, mounding ground-cover type, the other's gotten to be 2 feet tall...

but my front bed is currently buried under sweet potato vine foliage- I bought two plants, and between them, they have trailed to cover a plot that's 6'x12', and I've rooted half a dozen cuttings and infliected them on friends.

they are truely chartreuse- if anything, golder than the 'true chartreuse' paint I used to do the archways in my house!

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Hi:
    I have a focus on chartreuse foliage in my garden:

Golden Spirea, it's a weeping type with narrow leaves and white flowers

Spirea "Magic Carpet", and also "little Elf" which is the groundcover type mentioned above

Golden creeping thyme, and another which is very interesting and gets dark green leaves with lime green tint in the spring.

Sedum: ogon, mentioned above and Angelique. I have another which is very low growing although the same sort as Autumn Joy. It has a slight chartreuse caste to the leaf and a hot pink flower.

Two types of golden oregano: one is taller although still fairly low, the other is called "curly" with rounder leaves.

Talanum "Kingswood Gold" (not perennial unless VERY protected but re-seeds so it seems perennial).

Teucrium chamaedrys 'LSS Midas Touch', 'Summer Sunshine' Teucrium viscidum 'Lemon and Lime' (is often sold as Scrophularia 'Lemon and Lime)

Solanum Jasminoides Variegata is dark green and charteruse.

Xanthosoma ÂLime ZingerÂ: is hard here in a very protected, part-sun spot that is kept dry all winter.

I have some sort of boxwood that my friend Brooks gave to me. It's got an unusual leaf and in spring the foliage is very chartreuse.

How about little Japanese maples? I have one with chartreuse foliage while it's cool out.

For silver to aqua blue foliage try: lambs ears (Helene Von Stein is great), santolina virens, annual California Poppies, dianthus: Itsaul White, Bath's Pink, Firewitch and Mountain Mist (but the flowers fall over on this one in our climate), silver creeping germander (I haven't found it yet, but I want it!!) Silver Germander which is bushy. Dusty Miller is usually hardy for us here too.

My big "want" for this year is the chartreuse leaf smoke bush!! These are beautiful copieced in the perennial garden.

I hope this helps,

GGG

• inthegarden_k
    18 years ago

my black and blue salvia has chartreuse leaves. i love the contrast with the dark flowers and stems.

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    18 years ago

For silver in the sun, I wouldn't be without cardoon.

For a different chartreuse form, how about 'Little Honey' Oakleaf Hydrangea?

• eden_in_me
    18 years ago

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Dart's Gold' is a bright chartruse shrub.

• kms4me
    18 years ago

If it hasn't been mentioned, filipendula ulmaria aurea is a gorgeous chartreuse in deep shade, a more gold in light shade.

Kate

Sponsored