Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chartreuse foliage for perennial garden?

Posted by atlanta_gardener 7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 2:02

I love the look of chartreuse foliage in perennial gardens. Does anyone have any favorites to recommend? I'm also interested in adding some silver foliage as well. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chartreuse foliage for perennial garden?

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 14:11

Hostas, feverfew, helichrysum 'Limelight', coleus, scented geraniums, 'Limelight' artemesia, Oxalis siliquosa 'Sunset Velvet', bacopa 'Gold 'n' Pearls', and Lavatera olbia 'Aurea'. 'Amber waves' heuchera hasn't impressed me, difficult to site it just right to keep the color from either crisping in the sun or fading to green in the shade.

And if you want chartreuse flowers, sulphur buckwheat is absolutely the way to go!

Silver: Artemesia 'Powis Castle' must always take first place with its soft, billowy form and graceful leaves, but all the others are good also. Helichrysum 'Curry' or 'Icicles' ('Curry' has smaller leaves and the shape is more upright; 'Icicles' develops longer leaves that curl upward and in, and has a more rounded shape which I find more pleasing. Helichrysum 'Licorice' is a positively invasive groundcover with small, fuzzy silver-green leaves, but it is easy to whack back as it doesn't root along the stems. Tanacetums are trouble-free and will also grow in considerably shaded spots, unlike many silver-foliaged plants. There are also hostas, heucheras and brunneras in silver-white as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chartreuse geranium against plectranthus leaves

o

Hi...If you've got a shady spot, you might consider a toad lily (tricyrtis, sp?) that has wonderful lime green leaves---I think it might be called "Emperor." Pretty bright/light green foliage all summer, and then in the fall it puts out tiny orchid-like blooms. I think you can find it at Plant Delights nursery; other places, no doubt, too.....

o

Spiderwort'sweet kate'
vinca'illumination'
Also varieties of thyme and sage

o

Ipomea batatas "Margarita" aka chartreuse sweet potato vine is turning out to be a perennial in my yard. I planted one plant last year, and it filled a 6'x10' area. Now that it's warming up, there are little Margaritas coming up all over the area where I planted the first one. The "mother" plant formed large tubers over our long growing season. Depending on your microclimate there in Atlanta, it might do the same for you. And you can't get much more chartreuse than "Margarita". ;-)

o

Lysimachia 'Goldilocks'has my vote-it spreads very quickly.Also-Sedum makonoi 'Ogon'-it prefers a little shade to retain its color.
There are some excellent golden leaved Zonal Geraniums available now,and they have the coolest coloring!

o

hostas Golden Prayers, Hottsy Tottsy, August Moon
ipomea Marguerite
and the old standby: creeping jenny

o

I just picked up a perennial called Scrophularia 'Lemon and Lime'. Do a google search and you can see the picture!

o

seems like you've received lots of great perennial ideas. just wanted to remind you that shrubs can also add a great deal of texture/color/massing relief from perennials. chartreuse shrubs you might consider are: philadelphus aurea,
various variegated forsythias incl. suwan gold and golden times; and ilex sunsplash. weigela rubidor is bigger than these but great,golden barberry is very slow growing so can be small presence in a border for many yrs.

a few new golden/chartreuse perennials i've added to my gardens: tradescantia- yellow; tricyrtis 'guilty pleasures, caryopteris snow fairy and centaurea'gold bullion'.hope you're doing a lot of dk.ppl. to alleviate the chartreuse; the arching powder/steel blue of rosa glauca is also a wonderful counterbalance for chartreuse.

o

Perhaps not yet mentioned:
For full shade area, Hakonechloa, perennial ornemental grass. The darker the shade, the more spectacular the punch! Variegated grassy leaves (chartreuse+yellow), slow grower, 15 inches max. height

o

The creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea') and Artemisia 'Oriental Limelight' are both aggressive spreaders in the garden, especially in rich soil.

o

Carytoperis worchester gold.......

o

I just picked up a new centaurea this spring with lime green foliage and a bright purple flower. It is startlingly glamourous to say the least.

SusanLynne

o

For chartreuse foliage
Heuchera Lime Rickey
Pulmonaria Irish Spring
Dicentra Goldheart
Hosta Lemon Lime
Hosta Lime Piecrust

For silver foliage,
Athyrium Ghost
Pulmonaria Majeste
Pulmonaria Excalibur
Brunnera Looking Glass

o

I've got two neon-gold spireas- one's a short, mounding ground-cover type, the other's gotten to be 2 feet tall...

but my front bed is currently buried under sweet potato vine foliage- I bought two plants, and between them, they have trailed to cover a plot that's 6'x12', and I've rooted half a dozen cuttings and infliected them on friends.

they are truely chartreuse- if anything, golder than the 'true chartreuse' paint I used to do the archways in my house!

o

Hi:
I have a focus on chartreuse foliage in my garden:

Golden Spirea, it's a weeping type with narrow leaves and white flowers

Spirea "Magic Carpet", and also "little Elf" which is the groundcover type mentioned above

Golden creeping thyme, and another which is very interesting and gets dark green leaves with lime green tint in the spring.

Sedum: ogon, mentioned above and Angelique. I have another which is very low growing although the same sort as Autumn Joy. It has a slight chartreuse caste to the leaf and a hot pink flower.

Two types of golden oregano: one is taller although still fairly low, the other is called "curly" with rounder leaves.

Talanum "Kingswood Gold" (not perennial unless VERY protected but re-seeds so it seems perennial).

Teucrium chamaedrys 'LSS Midas Touch', 'Summer Sunshine' Teucrium viscidum 'Lemon and Lime' (is often sold as Scrophularia 'Lemon and Lime)

Solanum Jasminoides Variegata is dark green and charteruse.

Xanthosoma Lime Zinger: is hard here in a very protected, part-sun spot that is kept dry all winter.

I have some sort of boxwood that my friend Brooks gave to me. It's got an unusual leaf and in spring the foliage is very chartreuse.

How about little Japanese maples? I have one with chartreuse foliage while it's cool out.

For silver to aqua blue foliage try: lambs ears (Helene Von Stein is great), santolina virens, annual California Poppies, dianthus: Itsaul White, Bath's Pink, Firewitch and Mountain Mist (but the flowers fall over on this one in our climate), silver creeping germander (I haven't found it yet, but I want it!!) Silver Germander which is bushy. Dusty Miller is usually hardy for us here too.

My big "want" for this year is the chartreuse leaf smoke bush!! These are beautiful copieced in the perennial garden.

I hope this helps,

GGG

o

my black and blue salvia has chartreuse leaves. i love the contrast with the dark flowers and stems.

o

For silver in the sun, I wouldn't be without cardoon.

For a different chartreuse form, how about 'Little Honey' Oakleaf Hydrangea?

o

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Dart's Gold' is a bright chartruse shrub.

o

If it hasn't been mentioned, filipendula ulmaria aurea is a gorgeous chartreuse in deep shade, a more gold in light shade.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here