Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite purple heuchera....

Posted by katsu z5IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 13:07

I am woefully short on planting space and cannot make any impulse purchases this year.

But, I need to find a rich colored, purple heuchera as a companion plant. Last spring, I bought a crimson curls heuchera and was very disappointed! The purple faded out and turned green and brown. I moved it to more shade within two weeks, however it stayed that dismal color! I'll put it in a pot this year and see what happens.

So, I'd love to hear some opinions as to what everyone thinks is the best performing purple. I'm buying whatever one has the most votes :-) Oh, and your growing tips would be appreciated since I failed to make crimson curls happy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite purple heuchera....

heuchera americana Amethyst Mist is a real looker.

You can see a photo in the Garden Gallery forum (see Patio Garden Pix)

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple heuchera

o

I second Amethyst Myst. I have not had mine very long but it gets a lot of water & part sun. It seems to be doing well & is even blooming. I think you will really like this one.

Good luck & happy gardening.

o

I am really liking a new one I just bought called "Stormy Seas".

SusanLynne

o

Oops, forgot to mention my personal fave: Plum Pudding.

o

I'll add Velvet Night to the above. Others that don't stay quite as dark but have wonderful blooms are Checkers, Vesusius and Swirling Fantasy.

o

Katsu, did you get a purple heuchera? I have several different purplish ones. I have 2 'Ruby Veils'. One gets sun until 1:30 and the other gets sun til around 11am. I've noticed that the one that gets less sun loses some of it's purple color. The other one is always purple. The other ones I have get sun from early morning until 1:30 or so. They have retained their color and are doing fine. I just got 'Plum Pudding' this year and it is just a beautiful dark purple.
I hope you enjoy whatever one you got!

Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here