Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where do I get rare coleus seeds?

Posted by saturn69 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 21:46

hi I'm growing some rainbow mix but I want some more rare colorful coleus like stormy weather,saturn, or solar eclipse types.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where do I get rare coleus seeds?

Make sure the coleus you want to grow are available as seeds - many of the named varieties are only propagated vegetatively. Either they don't produce viable seed, or they don't come true from seed.

o

Ebay has coleus seeds ...many private vendors..Sue

o

If anyone in the NYC Metro area knows where to get any variety of coleus seeds, please post the location! I'd love to grow some from seed, I have three small plants already. I'm new to coleus (and plants in general) so I'm not sure what varieties they are, but one is a gorgeous scarlet color.

o

As annebert said, the best, most colorful, and hardiest coleus are grown from cuttings only. Seed-grown varieties are always wanting to go to seed, and once they do, they die You have to pinch them constantly.

o

I have been growing coleus from seed I have collected in the previous years garden. All of my seeds have done really well. Every time I buy a new different coleus from the ones I already own, I let the plant mature and then collect the seeds from the flowers. My coleus are beautiful. I have a lot of different seed and never bothered to get their proper names. I have seed for exchange if you should want any.

o

You might not get the best of the best but you can get something special. I enjoyed it a lot and haven't had any problem with collecting seed from the named coleus I purchased.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here