Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Leafed Evergreen Plant

Posted by sammie070502 USDA 8 - Sunset 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 03 at 2:25

Hi All,

I love big-leafed plants in the style of astilboides, darmera peltata, and petasites, but I can't think of any that are evergreen in USDA zone 7B -- Sunset zone 5. Any ideas / suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Leafed Evergreen Plant

I can think of very few shrubs (e.g., Fatsia japonica) but not any perennials with really large evergreen foliage. Maybe some of the larger-leafed hellebores. Really big evergreen leaves are rare, probably because big leaves are usually thin (otherwise they would be too heavy for the plant to support) and thin leaves are not generally frost-resistant.

o

Thanks JohnnieB,

I do enjoy my hellebores, and I have fatsia also, but I really like that dinner-plate look that the darmera and others have. I figured that huge, thin, evergreen leaves would probably freeze in the winter. Bummer. Keep thinking, though...please!

o

Spotted Laurel has big oval leaves that are green and gold. If you get a female it also has bright red berries. It's more of a shrub than a perennial, but it can be trimmed pretty small, and will grow tightly.

They're leaves are not super-big, though. I'd say six inches long by three wide? Maybe a little bigger but not much. It's no gunnera, that's for sure. Sorry. Hope you find what you are looking for - and that you let me know what it is! ;)

o

• Posted by Jeff_W z7 MD / VA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 28, 04 at 22:28

Hello,

The major reason why there aren't more cold hardy large leafed evergreens, is because of snow and freezing rain. Trying to grow some semi-large leaved plants in Virginia and Maryland demonstrates how badly pounds of freezing rain can damage large leaved evergreen trees easily.

Jeff

o

I think Rhododendron is the largest you'll get in 7. Nothing like Astilboides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here