Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Coleus!

Posted by tholtz ON, Canada (My Page) on
Tue, May 30, 06 at 6:33

Every Coleus I've planted this spring has either died or is dying. I've purchased one from Vandermeer and 8 from Price Chopper. One I planted in a container and the others in the ground in different places.

Is it possible that too much water will kill them? There isn't a coleus group hence no FAQ.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Coleus!

If you keep them too wet, with no drainage, I suspect that is the problem. How is your luck with other plants?

o

Hi,

I have three and two are dropping leaves. Is this also a sign of too much water? Thanks.

o

Coleus love a lot of water, so it must be a drainage problem. Also, keep pinching off the flower spikes, and new leaves from time to time to thicken the plant.

Good Luck...

o

You haven't moved them from shade to sun too fast, have you? If it's a watering problem, let the top of the soil completely dry before watering. Then check to see that excess water is draining out the bottom.
Coleus have no known disease or pest problems, except on occasion they can get mealy bugs, but those are obvious- looks like cotton on the underside of the leaves and stems.

o

My Kong Coleus I'm afraid is dying also. All the big leaves fell off. There is only a black stem left and two wilted barley green leaves are left on it. Originally I had it in a small pot that had no drainage. It was kept indoors at cool temperatures so the soil was never getting dry. I decided to move it into full sun one day for the whole day and the big red a green leaves wilted by the end of the day. I then moved it back inside. I later re-potted the plant into a bigger pot with a drain hole and saucer and let it have low light indoors but it still continued to to wilt. Is there any chance it could grow healthy again??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here