Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazilla

Zenobia

amazilla
20 years ago

Recently I purchase a Woodlanders Blue zenobia that immediatly caught my eye at a new nursery here in Brooklyn. The thing is so bushy that 3/4 of the plant lay on the soil in my container while the center stands up like my andromedas. All of the photos I've seen of Zenobias, the plant seems to look more stemmy. Should I cut all of this growth thats flopping down back?

If so, when should I do this? I have heard Zenobias are slow growing (mine is about 18 inches high) and I love how bushy and blue this Zenobia is, will I hurt it to just let it flop over my container and be bushy for a while?

Comments (9)

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Oh golly, leave it alone!!!!! Take it from somebody who thought she was going to shape her's, it's a huge, huge, huge mistake. They aren't cheap, and you can't propagate them without a mist system and they are slllloooooowwwww growing. Mine has been in the ground for around 5 years and is just recovering from the trimming I gave it when I first got it. I can't say it strongly enough. I love that shrub and it just hurts my biggest feelings that I set it back so far. I wish I could have afforded a larger one to start with.

• amazilla
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the tip Nigella! I won't trim it and just enjoy its bushiness. It has become my favorite of my new garden, but had a lot to live up to as my wife thought I was crazy to spend the money on it. It is truly beautiful.

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

I have one of these and planted it around some Oakleaf Hydrangeas. The blue foliage really stands out, and those stems ain't bad either :D I also have some hostas in front of it. This is a really neat shrub -- almost like the "Colorado Blue Spruce" of deciduous shrubs. LOL.

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Dave, does your Zenobia lose it's leaves in the winter? Down here the leaves turn brilliant colors in late fall and hang on until the new foliage starts to fill in. It is very pretty against those ghostly stems.

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

Mine did lose its leaves this past Winter. We got down to 7 one night :-O

BTW- is that you sellin' stuff now on EBay?? If so, I bid on one of your auctions yesterday but lost. :-(

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Blush, yes, that's me, Dave. What did you want? I don't want to sell to my "brothers and sisters" on GW, but you can have anything I have for the cost of the postage.

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

I don't mind bidding at all -- I sell stuff on eBay sometimes too. Actually, haven't done it this year yet. If I win one of your auctions, then that's some cash for you to buy MORE plants....and then of course you can sell those to me later... I have ulterior motives!

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Dave, you owe me a pair of beat up shorts and a worn out tee shirt, lol, I spit tea all over myself, I won't say why I need the shorts! How can I argue with that logic! What did you bid on, anyway? I probably have more of it.

• qponqun
    16 years ago

Please help! Bought 2 zenobias. Planted, watered, flowered, and died. What did I do wrong? I'm so disappointed. Please advise. Thanks, Toni