Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canna_jan

Who is growing petasites?

canna_jan
20 years ago

Petasites is not common in my area, but I decided to try it this year for the large leaves. I sunk a huge tub into the ground to help maintain moisture and keep it from becoming invasive. The soil has stayed most, but already the air is so dry it's wilting in the afternoon. It gets full morning and noon sun, and partial shade in the afternoon.

Any advice on conditions? I've had a hard time locating much info on this plant.

Comments (3)

• rose3
    20 years ago

I have two here in Northern Minnesota - both the plain and the varigated. They only get noon and afternoon sun. The varigated one gets more sun and experiences leaf wilt on hot afternoons. For your zone, I think I'd have them as much in the shade as possible. The plain one I have gets very little direct light and has never drooped. You were smart to control them in a tub - I didn't and am constantly picking leaves out of the lawn. I was hoping a zone 3a winter would help control them. Oh well.....

• Daniel_Ashley
    20 years ago

Dear Jan,

I have been growing a native petasites under my redwood tree and Japanese Maple in my shade garden. I live in the east bay so our summer temps can get into the upper 90s at times. I got the petasites (labled petasites frigidus) from the Tilden Park native plant sale in April of 2000 and it has become very vigorous and has spread to cover an area of about 8 feet. The large leaves are beautiful, and this past March it flowered for the first time.

Mine does not get any sun except for a brief dappled bit very early in the AM. Seems to thrive in deep shade. After it was established it seemed to need less water, it gets a little overspray from the lawn sprinkler nearby, so it is in kind of a riparian environment.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it. It seems very tough.

• susgarden
    20 years ago

jan, i have a "dining canopy " over mine and they are 5foot tall already! they really don't need much sun. i have them in part sun til ist of june, then put canopy on them to protect from hot summer sun. here in kentucky it gets in 90's all summer, and last year they did get the droops on hot afternoons, but watering revives them instantly. i'll try to email you a picture, i can't seem to post one on the gardenweb

Sponsored