Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variegated maple

Posted by pablo_NH z5 NH (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 03 at 14:38

My uncle worked at a nursery that bred a variegated sugar maple. He gave one to my dad- the other few that the nursery had went back to all green. My dad's maple gets a few green leaves at a time that he is quick to prune off of it, claiming that the whole thing will go green if he allows them to stay (they do show up in clusters). The tree is now maybe 25 years old, a bit small for a maple of that age, but otherwise healthy.

My uncle's other maples were not pruned thusly and all went green.

has anyone heard of such a leafing behavior?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variegated maple

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 29, 03 at 23:26

it's actually very common, I believe, for variegated plants to try to 'revert' back to green. Less chlorophyll means the plant has to work harder to survive.

I have the variegated abutilon, 'Savitzii', and it's a slow grower and shy bloomer. One day I looked at it and a long branch of totally green leaves had appeared -- literally within a two week period, there were at least four or five leaves on it! I cut it off immediately, or it would have taken over in short order.

I also have a variegated hydrangea that over the winter, lost its leaves, got cut back, and is now growing back almost completely green. It's in competition with a vibernum right next to it and I think if it had remained variegated it would have not been able to 'stand up' to its neighbor!

o
RE: variegated maple

i once read that if you feed a variegated plant too much it will turn green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here