o
foliage plant for the sun

Posted by finchelover 5b-6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 14:52

I would like a prenneial foliage plant I can use in the sun

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foliage plant for the sun

Hi - You could try artemesia,silver grey!
Goodluck, Mistee

o

Kind of a vague question. What kind of height are you looking for? Color of foliage? Many plants have variegated forms available.

o

Purpleinopp: I don't want a bush but something short to medium height I was admiring a Bruennera[sp] but that needs shade

o

Dwarf cannas

Dwarf bananas, tho most get 5' or more

Some dwarf alocasia, California being a very good choice but there are a few others, many will not get big the first year year, odora, portadora,Yucatan princess, Zulu mask Mayan mask, but will get big in the future.

Some colocasia can handle full sun and stay reasonable small too
Kona coffee, black coral, pineapple princess, blue Hawaii, and many more.

Sorry I'm not more help I like BIG foliage plants!

o

You might like Sedums. The roundish leaves are usually interesting shades of purple and blue. Maybe an interesting-looking grass. Yarrow? Dusty miller, Artemesia, Lychnis.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, May 22, 13 at 15:14

o

Did you find any good plants this year, Finch?

o

Euphorbia and sedum varieties work in my dry sunny areas. I have a hibiscus with dark reddish, purple leaves( cannot recall the name) that does well in a moist ,sunny area. There are a few perennial hibiscus that have dark leaves. Casttor bean(ricinus) has large, deeply lobed leaves in red and purples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here