Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyred_gw

Early foliage plants

rustyred
12 years ago

I'm looking for an early foliage plant for partial shade (a bit of early morning sun, then dappled under cottonwoods) to provide a solid block of color for background contrast to mid to late subtle spring bulbs (eg Fritillaria meleagris (snake head fritillaria), trout lily). My few large hostas (Paul's Glory, and I forgot the other -- Ice something or the other I think, bluish with light outline) are just now getting to size where they provide this contrast, but the bulbs are on their way out. I've tried rhodies, but they aren't doing well (black vine weevil I think, deer, alkaline soil, summer heat). I have a bunch of english ivy growing on a chain link fence behind the bulbs, but at this time of year it is at its worst, without new growth yet, and the bulbs get lost in the random vine background. Daylilies might do it, as at least my ditch lilies have been up with solid swaths of bright green for a month, but I doubt if most would bloom with the lack of sun, and I don't really want to help the ditch lilies spread. Other daylilies seem later here, though some might not be. Likewise with Aegopodium podararia (snow on the moutain) -- the non-variegated variety is early enough, but very aggressive here, and I am not interested in variegation for this purpose.

I suppose that if the rhodies don't make it I might move some small yew to take their place, or look for other low growing evergreen shrub, but I would prefer a foliage perennial. Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored