Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID of trailing Artemesia type of plant for window boxes

Posted by AlyceUSVI Z10/11St.JohnUS (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 03 at 6:15

In the States I used a silver furry roundleafed trailing plant in my deck boxes. I never new the name. In Florida last trip I bought four of these plants and the tag said Helichrysum. The plant doesn't meet the description on the web. It describes straw flower.Does anyone know the name and where I could buy seed? It takes full sun, has no flower and grows from a central stem similar to a trailing bouquet. Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID of trailing Artemesia type of plant for window boxes

You're looking for Licorice Plant or Trailing Dusty Miller (Helichrysum petiolatum)

o
RE: Need ID of trailing Artemesia type of plant for window boxes

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 03 at 10:11

There are a lot of helichrysums, and they can be very different from one another. I have several as they do well for me. Note that when they are happy, they can be aggressive towards their neighbors.

'Limelight' is a pale chartreuse trailer, with soft succulent fuzzy leaves. Beautiful against something with big dark leaves.

There is a helichrysum which has smaller, rounder leaves of fuzzy gray-green. Tends to spread sideways and get a bit bare in the center stem area. Very much a groundcover plant, it doesn't droop gracefully, the stems are long and forked, branching upwards. Can't recall its Latin name right now although it was listed as a Licorice plant, so probably a variety of H. petiolare.

Helichrysum petiolare 'Variegata' is white and gray-green, fuzzy, and very vigorous. Goes upwards, downwards and sideways -- in fact, any direction it can find. Leaves are round, but a bit larger than its cousin the Licorice helichrysum listed above. The color and shape of the shrub mixes well with other plants.

H. petiolare 'White Licorice' has round, clustered leaves similar to 'Limelight', but in a pale grayish-white, no variegation. It almost looks like a Plectranthus argentatus but the leaves are not toothed.

There is a helichrysum known as the Curry Plant, Helichrysum angustifolium, with very fine spikey leaves and a distinct smell of curry powder (it fades when dried, but you can use it in cooking with fresh leaves). It is more of a dusty miller-type plant in shape and bloom.

Helichrysum bracteatum is the strawflower plant, which of course doesn't look like any of its cousins!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here