Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Aucuba

Posted by SavingLady 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 6:24

I am a newbie gardener with a somewhat sick looking aucuba. The plant is over 30 years old. I am trying to salvage what it left of it after having it transplanted from my mother's house where it was hacked to near death and left completely to fend for itself.

I have it planted under a large fir tree where it gets very little rain and only a couple hours of very late afternoon sun. Because it is so dry and I also have ferns and astilbe planted in the same plot, I think I may be overwatering it.

The leaves are starting to droop and turn yellow. Some of the leaves have jagged edges and holes in them although the plant does not appear to have any bugs on it.

Since I know nothing about gardening having never had one, I was wondering if someone here could possibly diagnose the problem with my aucuba.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Aucuba

When did you transplant this Aucuba?

o
RE: Problem with Aucuba

A plant that old would not take to transplanting well. I've moved a lot of them over the years and have discovered the older they are the longer they take to recover. They do recover, but it takes time.
Has it sprouted new growth yet?
They do well in dry shade but watering the first year can only help as long as drainage is good.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here