Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smithjm_gw

My poor dieffenbachia is dying.....

smithjm
18 years ago

I bought 3 little ones and potted them together. Now half of the leaves are yellow and fall out easily. Here's a pic of when they were doing well (before i killed them) I think maybe i put to much water in it? I know they like to be more on the dry side.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/357705397DmplJL#

Comments (15)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Smith, I couldn't access your pic...
    Yes, Dieff's like to dry between waterings..Make sure the pot has good drainage...what type of soil did you use when your repotted? You want a black soil w/sand and peat moss..
    Rot is the number one killer in Dieff's due to overwatering..Place your plant in a bright but no direct sun area. Let soil dry between waterings. Remove yellow/dead leaves..When plant resumes health, fertilize w/a good all purpose food. Good luck, Toni

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just got another one. The old one died, it turned all yellow and rotted. Sorry you couldn't get the picture. But here's my new one!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/363829506HycKIN

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

if the old ones went mushy, you might want to add a handful of perlite to the bottom of the pot for the new ones...and make sure the drainage hole is 'covered' not 'blocked' (old window screen is good for this)

they take too dry way better than they take too wet.

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Ditto on adding Perlite to the bottom as well as amending your soil of choice with it. JM, I think you have the dieffenbachia compacta. It looks similar to the one I have. I had a problem with yellowing leaves too. Found out it likes it on the dry side. Let it dry out completely and then drench with water. The trick is to make sure you have the right soil mix- a well draining one. Heck, mine even flowered for me a couple of months ago. Twice. I was doing something right, but after it flowered it seems that's when the problem with the yellowing leaves started.

How is yours doing now?

GH

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I agree w/the above posters about using Perlite, or if you have sand available, that'll work, too.
    I wouldn't put the screen on the bottom of container though..the object is when watering, for water to saturate roots, then run through drainage holes.
    Diefs can live many years in bright light..if in winter plant is kept cool, it's best to water on sunny days, as early as possible..Otherwise rot will set in.
    Though they don't like wet feet, they love humidity. So, misting leaves will help..Toni

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sorry it took my this long...i noticed my plant is getting some brown tips and around the sides to. Could this be lack of humidity?

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Smith, it could be one of 3 things..lack of humidity, soil is being kept too dry, or it's getting direct sunlight.
    I'd mist the leaves daily to maintain some humidity..though you want the soil to dry between waterings, water thoroughly, then let dry a bit. If your plant is sitting in a direct south or west window, either move back a few feet or place in front of an east window. Toni

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Try sitting the pot on a pebble tray for added humidity. Be careful that the drainage holes are not touching the water in the pebble tray because this can cause root rot and other nasty demons. JM, now that Fall is approaching,you may want to consider investing in a cool mist humidifier for one of your plant rooms. It's difficult to keep an appropriate level of humidity inside once the weather cools. A humidifier will help and your tropical plants will thank you.

GH

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i don't mist it at all, so maybe its that. I don't think is lack of water cause once in a while some leaves will get completley yellow. I have it in the shade so i dont think is the lighting. I'll try misting it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Mike, that's really cool! I have one that I've had for about 9 years, no idea how old it actually is. Are you able to show us a picture?

• slickrick2003
    11 years ago

I had the same problem last month, and i took some good advice and did some reserch on my owen. But try to let the soil dry up in between watering and good rays of sun. it should start to get better in few weeks

• philiptbowman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I myself have recently purchased well I'll say adopted a dieffenbachia plant and I love it.I notice one of the leaves started yellowing so I repotted, new soil (posted) plant food (posted)and filtered the light and removed the yellow leaf as the care instruction suggested.After taking these steps I thought that would reverse the yellowing affect.Now I'll admit it only been 3 days but my concern now is post repotting the now yellow leaves were green so I'm not sure it worked..Please help.

• rhondaklein
    5 years ago
    Is this a diffienbacchia? Purchased 3 years ago and the leaves are always pale like this. I only see growth at the top - nothing propagating below. Would I need to cut off the top to prune this? Help!!!!!
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    5 years ago

Yes, it's a Dieffenbachia. It looks fantastic!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA