Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbilac

Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???

newbilac
12 years ago

I have been bitten by the coleus bug. I love the range of colors and leaf shapes available. I also have an abundance of varrying degrees of shade all around my house so why not go with it right. The only trouble spot I am having so far is on the west side of my house that recieves 4 hours of unobstructed afternoon sun starting about 1:30. I am firmly in zone 6a according to the USDA map.

I have had some failures with Wizard line of coleus in this spot. A few are hanging on but not growing much and they look pretty "bleached" out (faded may be a better term). Is there some varieties of Coleus that could probably make it or even thrive in this location?

I see some photos posted on the web of extravagent coleus gardens that look like they probably are getting full afternoon sun and more of it than my location and the beds apear to be thriving. Could be a bunch of potted plants aranged for a photo shoot I guess, but I am hopefull that I just haven't selected the proper varieties yet.

I just purchased a couple Saturn coleus and a couple Florida sun/jade coleus in hopes they can make in my west facing bed. I am going to pot them up and gradually move them out there to see if they can take it or not.

I would love to hear from anyone about varieties they've had good luck with or if "Full Sun Colues" is kind of like unicorns, and leprechauns?

Comments (2)

Sponsored