Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???

Posted by newbilac none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 8:12

I have been bitten by the coleus bug. I love the range of colors and leaf shapes available. I also have an abundance of varrying degrees of shade all around my house so why not go with it right. The only trouble spot I am having so far is on the west side of my house that recieves 4 hours of unobstructed afternoon sun starting about 1:30. I am firmly in zone 6a according to the USDA map.

I have had some failures with Wizard line of coleus in this spot. A few are hanging on but not growing much and they look pretty "bleached" out (faded may be a better term). Is there some varieties of Coleus that could probably make it or even thrive in this location?

I see some photos posted on the web of extravagent coleus gardens that look like they probably are getting full afternoon sun and more of it than my location and the beds apear to be thriving. Could be a bunch of potted plants aranged for a photo shoot I guess, but I am hopefull that I just haven't selected the proper varieties yet.

I just purchased a couple Saturn coleus and a couple Florida sun/jade coleus in hopes they can make in my west facing bed. I am going to pot them up and gradually move them out there to see if they can take it or not.

I would love to hear from anyone about varieties they've had good luck with or if "Full Sun Colues" is kind of like unicorns, and leprechauns?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???

You bet'cha! There are hundreds of different coleus and many can be seen in full sun from north to south, very common at fast-food restaurants and other corporate landscapes. I've grown many kinds of coleus in many sun/shade situations. Visit Glasshouse Works, Rosy Dawn Gardens, or Coleus Finder to learn more about Coleus and browse varieties.

Wizard mix is known for doing better in shade, and are usually the only seeds in the seed racks, so that's probably where a lot of the "for shade only" myth about coleus comes from.

There are so many, I refuse to allow brain space to memorizing particular names. It's easier to just buy coleus already in the sun. Then you know they are fine with it. I don't buy plants from the internet, and there's little chance of finding the exact coleus you want in a local store, so I shop for coleus kind of like the way my son looks at the "mystery car" matchbox car package. They'll have something good in there, but you don't know exactly what it is beforehand.

o
RE: Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???

I live in memphis , tn growing zone 7a-7b…I have an east facing patio at my town house, with absolutely NO shade until the sun goes over my building around 1:00pm; I LOVE coleus & want to know what types might survive in blazing summer sun… my patio is very small & aside from trying to grow a giant tree (which would take years) I can't figure out any way to get shade…all of the awnings Ive seen are too large for my space, so I'm stuck with full sun…can anyone help??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here