Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage bed that includes peony?

Posted by amoc Z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 10:00

Hi All, in your experience what other foliage would go best with peonies?

I Have just expanded one of my beds, in full sun and where I do not get to water too much. We have plenty of rain in spring/fall but not much during summer. I currently have a tiger eye sumac in there, with plenty of space to grow. And I plan to get some peonies. And I already have some iris (that can easily be moved out or around). And some tall grass (maidenhair?) that I am not that crazy about. What other (foliage) plants worked best for you with peonies leaves?

Thanks much
Anda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage bed that includes peony?

Hi,

I have a Peony with a trailing perennial Geranium, shasta daisies, Phlox 'David', a Miscanthus grass, a couple daylilies and Liatris (gayfeather.) All of these can take some drought after they are established, the geranium needs a bit of extra water when it gets really dry. Have fun choosing!

Jen

o

One of my favorite combinations is a Festiva Maxima peony with Siberian iris Caesar's Brother to one side, artemesia Silver King to the other side and behind the peony, geranium Biokova and Candytuft in front. Behind the whole thing is a huge climbing hydrangea on a pine. Love the rounded peony form with the spiky Siberian iris and artemesia's finer texture and silver leaves. Flowers just a fleeting plus. Be prepared to yank out the wandering artemesia.

o

I currently have Salvia officinalis, Chives, Lavender, Blue Flax and English Thyme near mine.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here