Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ming Aralia shattering

Posted by igluvr_522 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 18:23

Hi, my Ming, which has been in the same SE facing window and doing well over the winter, is starting to have leaves (old and new) turn yellow. What could be casuing this? I water 1x per week and feed 1x every 2wks using liquid miracle gro. The level of light it gets from this window has not changed, but may be more concentrated with summer or is it too hot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ming Aralia shattering

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 11:46

Sounds like possibly too much heat and light through window. Mine do best with medium light/ average room temps (about 74 degrees F in summer with airconditioning) and foliage is a deeper green which I prefer. Mine too though are now losing a few older leaves...it's just natural though, as new growth appears, for the older leaves to yellow. I just run my fingers through the branches to remove dying foliage.

A monthly (or as often as can be managed) shower of complete plant helps keep dust-free, pest-free too. I don't use fertilizer but I've read that if used you also need to flood soil on a regular basis to avoid buildup in soil. If it's just the older leaves and new growth is still appearing, I wouldn't worry. Just move back from window or to side to see if that helps.

One other thought: in winter resting-mode less water is needed than when new growth is in full swing in spring/summer. Good luck, hope some of these thoughts help. josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here