Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbwannabe_3

Please help me identify this plant

Bought two of these plants a couple months back - they only had 2 left or would have bought more, they are so bright and beautiful. Anyway, there was no tag on the plant and when I asked someone who worked there, they didn't know either (they arrived at their store untagged too). Can anyone help me identify this plant?? It looks like it would belong to the coleus family but it likes part sun, part shade - thriving in more sun than shade though where I have them planted (and planted next to brick where they get even more heat. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Your plant is a 'Bloodleaf' Iresine herbstii...there's another Iresine w/green and yellow leaves..it's common name is 'Chicken Gizzard.'
    I can't believe how red yours is..Pinch growing tips of leaves to keep bushiness/compact.
    The Iresine can be rooted in water..they're very similar to Coleus, but not in the same family..
    Anyway, your plant is gorgeous..Toni

• greenthumbwannabe_3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Toni - I love these too. Just went to a nursery today and found them, although, I did find two varieties. One was the Iresine (Red Chicken Gizzard), which was more of a burgandy red. The other was Alternathera (Grenadine) which appears to be closer to the color of the two I have.

Anyway, thank you for the advice on how to keep them bushy looking - the look I want for these. Julie

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Julie, I didn't realize there were 3 types..Yours is quite unusual..it's really pretty..Will you grow yours as an annual or bring indoors in winter? Toni

• greenthumbwannabe_3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toni, I'm not sure how many types there are - what family of plants are these from anyway?? I guess I could do the research on it and find out myself, huh??

I really don't know anything about this plant - just bought because they are beautiful and hoped they did well in the location I put them in. Do you have any recommendations on what to do with these over the winter? Julie

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Julie, Bloodleaf is in the Amaranthaceae family..
    It sure is beautiful and if I were you, would want to save it during winter months.
    Have you ever grown Coleus indoors? If you have, treat bloodleaf the same way..
    Bring indoors before first frost. Set in a semi-cool room away from heating vents. Water well, but let soil dry between waterings. In other words, don't keep sopping wet. Place plant in the sunniest window possible. If your winters are sunny, and plant doesn't seem to be dormant, give 1/4 recommended dossage of plant food. But if it stops growing, refrain from fertilizing.
    Pinching top two leaves will keep plant bushy, otherwise it can grow spindly..
    Cuttings are simple..just take a 4" piece, remove all but 2 top leaves, and set in water..roots will develop fairly fast...they seem to grow faster during longer days though..When roots are about 3/4" or longer, repot in a 4" pot. I'd also mist leaves in winter..this is optional, but it works for me..(S) That's about it..Keep me posted on its progress..it's so nice..Toni

• greenthumbwannabe_3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toni, thank you for the advice. I actually went ahead and took a few cuttings off each of my plants and put them in a glass of water yesterday. Hopefully they will root. I have never tried growing coleus indoors - I thought they were annuals and could only be grown in spring and summer outdoors. I'm learning quite a bit here lately. Gardenweb's forum's are awesome with great people like yourself to give good information.

I do hope I cut in the right places though - each cutting was taken from just below two leaves (about 4 inches long like you said) then I cut into where the two leaves meet after removing them. Please tell me if I did it right :)

Thanks again for your advice. Julie

Sponsored