Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennegardens

Help ID this plant?

jennegardens
20 years ago

Hello,

I have a plant in my shade garden that was given to me from a friend when our family first moved into our home 3 years ago. At the time he told me the plant was called "Elephant Ears" and out of curiosity I looked that up online but came to deadend when I noticed that the Elephant Ear plants in catalogs and online did not look like what I have growing in my shade garden.

Here is the best description I can give without a photo. This plant must be a foliage plant because it does not produce flowers at least that I've noticed? The leaves look just like elephant ears which is why I thought the name fit well however they look more rounder than the pictures of elephant ears I've seen. I have two types of these plants. The first is a few inches smaller than the second. The topside is a dark green and the underside and stalks/stems are a dark purple. The leaves are somewhat shiny. The second type is larger, does not have a purple underside and is not shiny, it has a rough texture. The leaves are around 10" wide and the height of the plant is 1'. This plant does perfectly fine in the colder climate that I live in (Zone 5) and I have not lost a plant yet so they seem to be hardy.

*NOTE* I will also post this message in Shade Gardening to see if anyone there might be familiar with this plant also.

Thanks for any info or pictures that are provided!

Jenne

Comments (4)