Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_frog

ID this coleus!

green_frog
19 years ago

Hi! I bought it at a local nursery - it was a GIANT so I split it in two and now they flank my front door. I sketched out the leaf hoping a pro or a coleus fan like myself could help me ID it. And, while you're there, if you know what that hosta is... I'm a fairly newbie shade / foliage gardener and I can't ID either one of these on coleusfinder.org or ANY hosta collection website. Thanks so much for the help! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: horticulture art

Comments (9)

• green_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

woops! would help a bit if the LINK worked! :))) try THIS one!

Here is a link that might be useful: a mystery shade garden

• Josh
    19 years ago

Link needs password to enter.

• green_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi! Here's the new link and passowrd. thanks, josh. apparently i am a newbie as well to the "webshots" experience. :))

Here is a link that might be useful: horticultural art

• green_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

pw - slugresistant

Here is a link that might be useful: horticultural art

• Josh
    19 years ago

Well, after all that I didn't need a password after all. Your photos are very good but Coleus are so-o-o hard to identify. I ordered a dozen from Singing Springs this year and flippng back thru catalog your Coleus just might be 'Vulcan'. Link below and see what you think. This wasn't one of my selections but I found the descriptions to be very thorough as to color, size, etc.so it might be helpful.

Can't help with your Hosta ...they don't do well here. You might post your query on the Hosta Forum...probably get a good answer there. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus 'Vulcan'

• Josh
    19 years ago

Hey Green Frog...just for fun I went browsing and ran across another very similar...scroll down to Coleus 'Firefly' on this link. Wouldn't it be surprising that one this old could still be around? You might have an antique! josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus 'Firefly'

• green_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Heya, josh! Thank you for the GREAT coleus link but... it's NOT "vulcan" but it looks EXACTLY like "fire dragon", EXACTLY like it except it's a DEEP burgundy, not crimson or a red with orange undertones.But they could be TWINS! Wow...COULD they be, twins? :))

• green_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

THAT's IT! (I sound like Lucy knocking over Charlie Brown) THAT is my coleus and the coloration they describe is EXACTLY what I have. Oh that's SO cool! I have an antique coleus. It's held up pretty well since 1879! LOL! Wow! :))) Is that why it's SO HUGE? I mean, when I bought it, it was the size of two husky dogs, standing side by side. I split it once and now there are TWO huge plants on my porch. "Firelfy." Wow, it TOTALLY suits it. It's QUITE dramatic and it's propagating well in the kitchen. Thanks, Josh!

• Josh
    19 years ago

What fun! I was reading further just out of curiosity..one of my interests is old books (or new ones about old gardens and when particular plants were discovered and brought into cultivation).

I've really enjoyed my Coleus and am fascinated by all the various colors but just as much by the different sizes of leaf and stem... some grow like delicate groundcovers and some like a small (?) shrub. Some of mine are near 30 inches tall with 4inch leaves. This has been my first year with Coleus...probably I'll add more next year.

Enjoyed the research..learned a lot myself...part of the pleasure of gardening. Take good care of your antique! josh

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors