Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very rare: Silver foliage (locale) envy! :)

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 2:07

I've never been one to have "gardening" (i.e. locale) envy. Tropical places can grow lots but I don't envy the heat or weeds or monster bugs. I've always LOVED gardening in NJ. Our soil is great our winter and summers (I think) are just right for alot of plants and thus it's not the "garden" state for nothing! But I want more and more more and more silver plants! I'm growing a few but would love more. I don't know if I'd actually WANT to garden in the meditteranean what with the dryness/etc. there's probably things I love that I couldn't grow. But I envy all their silvers. All the varied varieties (some too tender for here) of lavender and a host of others. Does anyone have similar envies? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very rare: Silver foliage (locale) envy! :)

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 11:37

Me, too. Main problem is our hot muggy summers. But I've discovered one beautiful silvery-white foliage plant that seems impervious to our humidity. Nice for cutting for arrangements. Supposed to be hardy here but just in case I plan to take cuttings. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Centaurea gymnocarpus 'Colchester White'

o

It's pretty, thanks for the suggestion Josh! :)

o

If you can find it, try Athyrium nipponicum 'Silver Falls.' An all silver Japanese painted fern. Absolutely gorgeous and definitely the most silvery of any plant I have ever tried. It's not a fast grower, but is hardy here. I just love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here