Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Kong Coleus overwatered - Can it be saved??Please help!!

Posted by katvonpeck NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 7:09

My two Kong Coleus were planted outside together in an urn on my deck and have been thriving (and are my pride and joy). We had major rain storms the past week and I noticed that water was not draining from the pot as there was a pool of water at the top of the soil so I tipped the urn to get that water off. I noticed that the leaves were wilting, I fixed the drainage holes and water drained out the bottom. The soil is still wet so I have not watered but it is still wilted- what do I do? Should I let the plant dry out or water? I don't want this beautiful plant to die!! Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am a beginner gardener.
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Kong Coleus overwatered - Can it be saved??Please hel

You can remove & root all of the stems as new plants. They will root in water or moist (not soggy) soil. Do a search to learn more about coleus cuttings if you would like to try. You can also "save" your plant through winter this way - with cuttings in jars or bottles.

If you have somewhere in the ground to put the root ball, that may save it. If not, try removing it from the pot, replace the dirt, then replant it. It may be too rotted to recover but certainly worth a try.

o

Thank you, I will try replanting it in the pot with all new soil and also will cut some of stems to try as new plants. Is it the roots that become rotted and that is why the plant has not responded and continues to droop?
Kate

o

It's hard to say without pics, but that's what I would guess, root rot. If any of the stems are "mushy" they are probably too far gone. Try taking cuttings of firm stems, they should snap like celery.

o
RE: Outdoor Kong Coleus overwatered - Can it be saved?

Just curious about what happened to your coleus?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here