Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Algerian Ivy

Posted by artiste312 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 13:03

I recently purchased a variegated Algerian ivy. I was assured it would be fine in a spot that receives morning and early afternoon sun. After only a week or so, it has white, faded patches on many of its leaves. Too much hot sun?
Thanks for any help!
Artiste

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Algerian Ivy

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 1:17

Probably by now it has started putting out new leaves adapted to your conditions. Might have been grown in cooler or shadier conditions but will adapt. I grow this Ivy in full sun down in AL so your part sun location should be fine. After new leaves appear the old ones can be removed or you can just let them fade away. josh

o

Hi. I just wanted to find out how your algerian ivy is doing. I got my plant about 3 weeks ago and can't seem to know what it likes. It's going through the same phase you described. If your plant is doing better, I'd appreciate if you could share what you did.

Also, would you know if the algerian ivy likes moist soil or should the soil be allowed to dry out before the next watering? I tried to search but got conflicting results.

Thanks!

o

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 10, 08 at 14:10

I'd say on the drier side...I've read it's often used as highway median planting in CA and so it's tough. I give it same treatment as Hedera helix vines. Water deep and thoroughly then let it dry out a good bit. I use this as groundcover and also grow in pots outside here in zone 8a.
If it gets too dry you may lose a few leaves which are quickly replaced upon watering, but if soil is kept too wet the roots may rot and you lose the whole plant, so I tend to underwater if I'm not sure. josh

o

Thanks Josh. Sad news -- I repotted the plant this morning and saw that the roots are not looking good. Definitely a case of overwatering here. I've cut back some leaves and enclosed it in a plastic bag. Hopefully the plant will survive. It was really pretty. If you have other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here