Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter creeper - How fast does it spread?

Posted by rmchamp z5 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 03 at 13:04

I just planted several winter creeper plants as ground cover in my partially-mostly shaded garden. I've placed them along a fence so they're able to climb if they so choose. The garden center said this should be a fine area for them. They don't seem to be growing much (they do look healthy though). Are they slow growers or do they need more sun? By the way, I'm completely new to gardening but very enthusiastic!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter creeper - How fast does it spread?

Did they have name-tags with them, rmchamp?

o

Yes there is a tag. The name is Wintercreeper "Emerald Gaiety". It says to plant in full to partial sun, but the woman at the garden center said they would be just fine in shade. Maybe she meant they won't die, but won't grow either :(

o

We planted wintercreeper from tiny little plants, 4 yrs ago. By the next year, they looked better and by the 3rd year they looked great and by the 4th year, we have to trim them back! They even grow up our fence and it looks great.
Ours is a purple wintercreeper and in the winter time they do turn purple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here