Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I allow my caladiums to continue to bloom flowers?

Posted by Jessplants none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 17:43

I once read that the flowers to caladiums make them weak. I want to know if I should let them keep growing this way. They are big and beautiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I allow my caladiums to continue to bloom flowers?

Jessplants, the bulb of the caladium is an underground stem. It has buds which will give rise to new plants.
Flowering takes energy which is obtained from the reserves in the corm.
The plant will need some raw materials and time to build up reserves to over winter and grow again in the spring

o

The flowers only last for about a week, and the energy needed to form them has already been expended. Some of them smell good!

o

Curious how the Caladiums are doing? Did you find fragrance in any of the blooms? The leaf at the top of your pic looks especially huge, nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here