Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus Cuttings are Wilting..

Posted by jerkgirl z5A CNY (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 03 at 19:14

Is it normal for coleus cuttings to get very wilted before they root? I seem to be having this problem and I don't want to be killing them...

Maybe I did something wrong? I just cut off "branches" that were sticking out, and plopped them in a cup of water.

Did I do something wrong, or is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus Cuttings are Wilting..

If you have short cuttings, and can place them either in a plastic cup or a small pot with compost, and then place this in a leftover coffee jar or the like, it helps wonderfully to get them rooted - I think they need the humidity to root.

o

• Posted by mareas z7 Southern OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 03 at 15:16

planting the cuttings right away into a pot of moist perlite/potting soil that sits in a dish of pebbles with water in bright shade works well for me!

o

Try removing the largest leaves, about half of them.

o

What worked great for me was to use regular potting soil in a clear dixie cup.Cut drain holes in bottom and air holes around sides and top of top cup.Put cutting in cup,make sure soil is moist.Place another cup over this to make a mini greenhouse.Seal with tape.

o

Coleus cuttings do tend to wilt somewhat in water before they get their roots. Fortunately they root pretty fast so it's not a big concern. I just took cuttings of many different varieties yesterday and they're all in glass jars or bottles awaiting roots. Some wilt worse than others but they'll all recover and then I'll pot them up to enjoy all winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here