Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus fern light requirements?

Posted by eileen_plants z6ny (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 20:23

Does anyone know what kind of light asparagus ferns need? I've tried my books, but they have differing opinions, so I thought I'd go straight to the source and ask someone who has one! I've heard ferns don't like direct sun and was confused when one book said bright light. I currently have it where it is receiving some direct sun but not much. I can easily move it to a more shaded site if that is what is required. Any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus fern light requirements?

Asparagus ferns aren't true ferns, and require bright light to full sun for best growth. Also, they need excellent drainage and prefer to dry out some between watering.
If outside for summer same care required. Good luck. josh

o

I replied to this two days ago, but it never appeared. josh has answered your question well. I notice that he and I are in the same zone. Here they will overwinter in the ground, coming back from the roots. However, in your climate zone likely they will freeze if left out. You can lift them and winter them indoors. Just keep them above freezing. The little "peanuts" on the roots are water sacs, so they can survive for a time without water, but they don't wilt when their water supply is completely gone- they just DIE. In So. Florida they have naturalized and are considered somewhat of a nuisance. They are very tough.

o

Eileen - I've found that inside (winter) they can take full sun, but outside (summer) they seem to do better in mostly shade. They divide well as hanging plants also. I try to keep them on the damp side; they WILL die if left too long. Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here