Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsi_gw

Plant ID Needed, PLease

sunsi
16 years ago

I bought this plant becuase I thought it quite striking but it came without a ID tag. I have 2 pots of them and this one pictured is doing very well but the other one has leaves dropping. I don't know what name this plant has therefore haven't any idea of it's culture needs. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

(I'm not sure where to post this so I will also try "Tropicals" if there are no replies here, thanks.) :)

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Sunsi..what you have is a 'variegated Aralia'..I just bought one at Home Depot..Did you get yours there, too?
    They like medium, bright light, humidity..do NOT overwater, or the roots will rot..let soil dry between waterings. Fertilize w/an all purpose food during growing season..They go semi-dormant in winter, so be careful when watering..
    What do you have sitting atop the soil? Is it bark? I don't think I'd keep it on..for one thing, it'll keep soil moist, second, it'll be difficult telling if soil needs a drink, and third, most ppl who use bark or mulch atop indoor plants end up getting fungus gnats. Mostly because soil stays damp, which attracts these bugs.
    A well-draining soil works best. So, try not to repot w/too heavy a medium.
    In winter, when house gets dry, it's best to place on top a pebble tray..this will help w/humidity. I'm also big on misting plants, so if you have a mister, spray away. That's about it really..just for the record, Aralias are not the easiest plants to grow..Good luck, Toni

• sunsi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Tony! So now I have a name to give this pretty little plant.....and I think Lowes (where I bought mine) and Home Depot have the same suppliers, lol

I do have bark on the soil of this plant but per your instructions will remove it asap. That will account for why the other Aralia is dropping leaves and I certainly don't want fungus knats. I've put bark on all my indoor plants so I have to remove it all now and be on the safe side.

I appreciate your time in giving me all this valuable information it's most helpful to know about this plant in the wintertime too. Knowing that they go semi-dormant will effect how they react to being watered during this period. I have a ZZ plant that I almost killed with water till I found out what it's needs were and now it's the happiest plant I have. :)

I will purchase a mister and follow your advise to become a "misting fool" lol Do all indoor plants like to be misted during winter is a question I should investigate more. For instance, I'm very careful not to get my violet leaves wet so I imagine there are other plants that would prefer to stay dry also.

There is so much to learn and I want to create the optimal conditions for each plant because they are so important to have in our environment.

Again, thanks Tony for your most useful help and time. :)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Patty, you've made up a nice website..I don't have time to read it through at the moment, but it's quite interesting and informative..

Sun, actually, I mist most plants...I don't spray African Violets,(though, once every 2 wks, I set them in a sink filled w/warm water, about 20 mins) Episcias, or any other fuzzy plant, cactus and succulents..
    Once a month I'll take Cactus and Succulents to the sink and hose off leaves, etc, without wetting soil.
    But all other plants are misted..
    Yes, there's a lot to learn about plants. Asking questions on GW, borrowing books from the library or purchasing helps a lot too..though what's funny is, you can have 3 plant books in front of you, 3 different authors, and each will advise differently on the same plant..lol..
    Good luck, toni

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations