Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mareas_gw

Coleus fans??

mareas
20 years ago

I have suddenly developed a PASSION for the beautiful Coleus, particularly the new cultivars!! I think I have looked at EVERY photo on Coleusfinder.org - which is way over 500 photos - that qualifies as obsessed if not passionate... I am growing "Kiwi Fern" and a gorgeous black and multi-colored puckered, ruffled knock out that I don't know the name of - plus my dear old (I've had this plant for 30 years) "Wizard Pastel" and some fancy new Wizard Mix and Rainbow Mix. Any of you out there who know and love and want hundreds of these things, too?

Comments (67)

• blue_skies
    20 years ago

i am a fan but i never can get my coleus seeds to come up i had cuttings but never rooted any one know how to get seeds to gem. please help

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, I SCORED yesterday! I found ZEBRA, MOLTEN LAVA, SOLAR FURNACE & BLACK DRAGON cultivars for 99 cents each!! I passed on GARDEN WALK - doesn't have the flash and pizzaz of the ones I did take home, even though it is the same colors as both Furnace & Lava. The local Fred Meyer store had a sell out on their "Stained Glassworks" Coleus plants. I nearly bought them all to trade with you guys!! If anybody is interested I will go see what is left...
    Blue_Skies - you should email Coleus4me for help if she doesn't reply here - she posted that she successfully grew Black Dragon from seeds!

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Coleus are GRrrrREAT! They pack more 'wow' power per 1 tiny leaf than most masses of flowers. If you want to try doing a standard, try findind a Japanese Giant coleus. Mine is growing in this form on its' own, although it is slow to start visibly growing again after being brought outside for summer vacation.

If you like coleus, look at Alternanthera and Breynia disticha.

• gardenslave
    20 years ago

I am SOO lucky to live in Ohio, I'm about half way between Glasshouse Works and Bakers Acres. Both places are big hybridizers of Coleus. I got a great selection this year.
    I am trying to grow 3 as standards. They are Atlas, Japanese Giant, and Alabama Sunset. All 3 got about 2 feet tall, then tried to set seeds, so I had to pinch them. Grrrr.

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I found a great article on growing Coleus from seeds!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus need light to germinate!

• eileen1
    20 years ago

I absolutely LOVE coleus too, have been collecting them for many years. I grow coleus from seed in the winter and never cover the seeds, they're very tiny. Another trick for good germination is to plant your seeds when the new moon phase starts. A little bottom warmth also speeds germination and never let your seedlings dry out.
    Mareas thanks for the link to coleusfinder.org, I never knew this site existed, great resource.
    Coleus have come such a long way from when I first started collecting. The varieties now are unbelievable. Just give me hostas and coleus and I'm happy.

• SHER107
    20 years ago

I have coleus, probably wizard, its green and white and it is growing under my tree and it does get morning sun. It is absolutely beautiful in the spring and early summer. But, now it has turned brown, as if it is sunburned.
    HELP - what do you think I need to do to keep this from happening each year?

• civilmind
    20 years ago

Oh, yeah! Love the coleus! I have pineapple, solar sunrise, aligator, molten lava, fright night, tilt-a-whirl, kiwi fern, rustic orange, and tri-color violet in my collection this year. Solar Sunrise is my favorite with Aligator running a close second. I plan to add more next year!

• eileen1
    20 years ago

I have "Solar Sunrise" and "Tilt-a Whirl" too, they are both real beauties. I had "Fright Night" but lost it last winter, loved that one too.
    Sher107, if I were you I'd take a couple of cuttings of your wizard coleus as insurance in case you lose the whole plant. Try the cuttings you root in a different area of your garden and see if you get different results. Good luck with your plant.

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

I finally took some pictures of my really big ones. They're at the bottom of this page. The others I keep chopping for cuttings, so they haven't had a chance to get much bigger yet. I've been really WOW'ed by the 'pineapple' ones I got this year! Such big, pretty leaves. My japanese giant that was growing into a tall standard got broken in a storm, so I'm starting over with a few cuttings. That's the cool thing, though. Even if a plant suffers a disaster, there's usually enough left to keep it growing and start over. I've got about 25 glass beer and soda bottles outside in the shade full of Coleus cuttings for gifts and so I'll have MORE MORE MORE next year!

I just love these beauties!

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

"Me", thanks for sharing your beautiful plants! I was saddened to hear that your Japanese Giant standard broke! Sounded like such a magnificent thing! But, great to hear you will be growing several now!!
    My very favorite Coleus is the eye-popping, multi-colored "Solar Eclipse". It grows in a lovely shrub form with so many color variations: from black-purple to irridescent teal to reds and plums and yellows...
    I guess I'm going to have to throw out the furniture in my house to make room for my beloved coleus plants when the frosts come!!

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

No, don't do that. You'll need something to put the smaller plants ON! Hahaha! But you probably don't want to permanently damage your furniture and floors. They're not terribly attractive, but I found some very large light green plastic 'disposable' plates with nice deep sides that worked very well as saucers under the pots I brought in. I would have preferred the clear drip trays meant for pots, but one pack of disposable plates was cheaper than just 2 drip trays, and I needed a LOT of them. They're actually more sturdy than the clear drip trays, too.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

Mareas, thank you for the link to your beautiful Coleus album - the colours! Wow!

• greenfreak
    20 years ago

I love coming to this forum once in a while to talk about Coleus. My first love, still a big favorite.

Last summer, I finally trusted them being outside (I've had a mealy infested bush that transferred the buggers inside to my coleus) and mixed a few colors with some ornamental grass. I thought the colors were going to be deep purple, orange, and a bronzy-yellow. I thought the colors would mix nicely but soon found out that getting southern sun all day dramatically changed the coloring. That's the first pic below, they turned out hot pink/red, bright yellow and almost black:

http://www.greenfreak.net/Flowers/bigcoleus_roses.jpg

http://www.greenfreak.net/Flowers/collection_august.jpg

http://www.greenfreak.net/Flowers/mantis.jpg

http://www.greenfreak.net/Flowers/flowers_jpg/collection.jpg

• greenfreak
    20 years ago

Forgot to mention. The black/pink/green coleus in the bottom of the last photo is the same coleus in the bottom of the second photo, one season later. From spring to summer, that baby got HUGE. And it got bigger than that second picture too. I wound up just taking cuttings of all the outside coleus and they're growing nicely in my living room through the winter.

I had a bunch of burgandy's mixed with purple million bells, that's the third picture with the mantis. I'm discovering the joy of companion planting outside. I can't wait for summer!!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

greenfreak, they are lovely photos, lovely plants, and I love the last one most of all! I've never seen coleuses looking so nice.

• greengirl318
    20 years ago

i have grown coleus a few years in a row, but this last summer i finally didn't kill them! lol i never had great luck, but hurra! i think i'm getting it.one type that i have fallen in love with is called 'inky fingers' i don't know if it is new or old to the family , but they are great to look at and really hardy( once i learn how to load a picture i'll put one up)
    blue skies- i've found power rooting hormine that works great for coleus (and many other kinds) of cuttings.
    peace and green thumbs forever
    ~laura

• gclavergne
    20 years ago

I have a little clay pot of seedlings sown from a pack of that 'rainbow mix' you see all over the place in spring. I can't wait to see what sort of colors and shapes I get. A couple of them are just now starting to get the first pair of true leaves, but they're still teeny tiny. I've seen pictures of some of the newest varieties like 'black dragon' and the 'inky fingers' mentioned above. They are exceedingly beautiful.

• Patrick888
    20 years ago

I just found an interesting online seed source for coleus: Vesey's Seeds ... website is veseys.com
    (free catalog offered on web site)
    they're located in York, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
    I like their website and their prices look very resonable
    they list the following coleus varieties: black dragon, rustic red, fairway salmon rose, palisandra, volcano and wizard mix.
    they have been in business over 60 years and carry a variety of plants/bulbs/seeds/etc. I haven't researched everything on the web site, but liked the prices I saw when I briefly browsed through it. I'm sure I'll order from them in the future...for now, I'm already loaded down with flower seeds to start under fluorescent lights for this year's garden.
    Patrick

• red5
    20 years ago

so nice to be able to talk to some coleus freaks like myself!!! I am presently growing about 14 different ones right now from cuttings I got this past summer(down from 30,much to my husband's happiness).They were fine outside but when I brought them in even I realized that it was a bit much(not really, but something about "compromise" was mentioned).I saved the more unusual ones,the other ones I knew I could easily find again.Some I have are kiwifern,inkyfingers,perilla magilla,blk/fuscis/green,avatar,watercolour,salmon/pink/green,and a red yellow and green one that I can't remember the name of right now.

• red5
    20 years ago

just looked up the red yellow and green one: stormy weather and the black fushia and green one is called picotee pete.

• itvilcu
    20 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone out there would have some extra coleus seeds that they would be interested in trading, for other types of seeds?? If so, please email me at: tvilcu@telus.net

Thanks

• wilted_flower
    20 years ago

I"m so glad I found this in the 'search'! I've been trying to find a coleus plant here and it's been impossible :( I use to grow them and had some HUGE ones! I bought seeds, and failed miserably, NOW I know why thanks to the link that showed they need light to germinate! The darn package didn't say that! So, I"m going to go get more seeds today and try again! I LOVE the coleus tree idea ! I'm doing that with lantana and it's a slow process but I've seen them about 4ft. and they are lovely too...

Now maybe I can finally get some plants!!!

Thanks for all the great ideas and links!

• scruffylilthing
    20 years ago

ok so this topic is on coleus and i must confess i have a burgeoning passion for this plant myself. one question to all f you though, i have seen in locas greenhouses, a coleus that has vivid colors, like a megenta ink toward outside of leaves, what variety is this ? because i have only seen it one place and no where else? any ideas?
    tracey

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Coleusfinder.org has a very cool search function that helps you look for varieties by leaf shapes and colors - with just the magenta to go on, I came up with Japanese Giant as Tracey's answer. Here's a photo of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:776232}}

• MegNYC
    19 years ago

Anybody know where to get seeds for the SuperSun coleus?

• Onewally
    19 years ago

How is everybody's coleus doing this summer? I've got about 30 different varieties, and even with the end of the summer coming, I still want MORE. Cant have too many!!!! I'm planning on taking them in this winter, to the basement under lights. I'm sure someone has done this....any suggestions for best results?

• marquest
    19 years ago

Not to discourage you but I tried your plan last year and the spider mites killed them all.

I remember growing up with them all over the house I do not remember them dying when my Mother grew them.

I know some people say they are spidermite magnets.

That said my mother did not work she took care of the kids and plants. So the plants were showered and babied so get ready for alot of care. Good Luck!!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    19 years ago

I LOVE coleus! One of my all time faves. Mine are doing very well. I have "Freckles', "pineapple", "Lifelime", Wizard red velvet this year. Jade and a 3rd generation "Oompha" from cuttings the past 2-3 years. I love "Oompha". "Pineapple" is real nice as is "Freckles". I'm always starting new plants from cuttings, got 17-20 going right now. Outside I grow them in medium to large pots/planters and some in the ground.

Tom

• Onewally
    19 years ago

I'm reading up on the coleus-in-the-basement plan...others have done it, but apparently they need a lot of lite. I'm now up to 70 or so different kinds, mostly small ones started from pinches. The link to my webshots page is
    http://community.webshots.com/album/178528833iLWMYD?751
    if anyone has any interest. I've been swapping with a lady in New York this year, we've had to figure it all out thru trial and error but fortunately, we havent lost many. I"ve got packing and shipping tips to share if anyone is interested. Anyway, I'd love to hear from the original posters from last summer to hear if their coleus made it thru the winter.

• Mom_a_Wreck
    19 years ago

Hi Folks,

My Coleus buddy Onewally directed me here. I understand I can find folks like myself here. Obsessed, addicted, CRAZY 4Coleus anyone?
    I presently have over 30 varieties. I have just about eliminated flowers from my front yard garden because with Coleus, WHO NEEDS FLOWERS? I started selling flowerless window boxes 2 years ago, and the idea has REALLY taken off.
    I've been collecting coleus for about 5-6 years, but this will be the FIRST year I am over wintering all of mine. 2 pinches of each plant, 1 in dirt and 1 in water. I have a neighbor that has had MUCH success with this method. Here is my album on webshots>>>
    Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuckoo 4 Coleus

• marquest
    19 years ago

OK, I have spent an hour looking at your plants they are absolutly wonderful. I have 4 this year. I remember as a child my mother growing coleus as big as trees and I love them.

You are right you do not need flowers when you have beautiful foilage.

• MegNYC
    19 years ago

Mom a Wreck, WOW!! Stunning. What is that frothy pale lavendar plant at the bottom of 'front yard planter 1'?

It sure is a perfect foil for you colorful coleus!

• mayhr
    19 years ago

can coleus be grown in a pot?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    19 years ago

Mayhr, you bet! Just use a good potting mix and keep the soil moist, not soggy. Give it bright light. Piece of cake! Cuttings easily root in water or potting mix.

Tom

• mortswife97630
    18 years ago

Hi from Oregon. I too am becoming obsessed with the Coleus. God just gives us these beautiful plants to brighten our day!!
    I have ordered my first plants ever. I am anxious to get them. Can't remember what I ordered but one thing was a scented geranium [also my loves]. Thank you for your time.

• liza070831
    18 years ago

Just hav to share my success story with you. This is the first year I've grown coleus from seed and must say I had total success. I used park seeds wizard mix and started them in seed starting mix in a south window. I had so many that I gave them away. This was the only thing I got to sprout (not evsen Marigolds came up). Now have them planted around the yard and evsery time I pinch, I just stick that in the ground and I have a new plant. How's that for success

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    18 years ago

Gotta love coleus Liza! Good job!

Tom

• scarlettm
    18 years ago

Great thread going here. Sadly, the link to the Garden Gate article on creating a standard coleus is no longer viable. Could anyone summarize? Thanks.

Cathy

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    18 years ago

I got into coleus this year too, and I really empathize with Mortswife, above, because the colours of the different plants just simply cheer me up!
    I joined a coleus group on the www, and today a wonderfully kind person sent me over twenty different types in cuttings, it has been fun sorting them out!
    I've also ordered a collection from Dibley's and they should arrive next week. It may be a bleak world, but it is possible to brighten it up!

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I love love love Coleus--I buy every variety I can find once they hit the nurseries here. I treat them as annuals, because I don't have anywhere to overwinter them. I put them, mixed with other favorite plants, in containers on my part-shade patio every year.

• socks
    18 years ago

Are they annuals or perennials?

Do you pinch them back to keep them bushy?

Do snails/slugs eat them?

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    18 years ago

They are perennials, but many people don't overwinter them, and grow them as annuals, even if they are not true annuals. This is true of many other plants grown in summer gardens, e.g. petunias, nicotianas. I believe pinching them back does keep them bushy, and most who advise about them recommend cutting off the flowerbuds too, as they say allowing them to flower weakens them! Why this does not apply to other plants mystifies a little, but perhaps when the flower stalks elongate they seem ganglier and therefore appear weaker. However, if you do let them flower and keep the finished flower-heads, you can shake these over seed-trays of compost and grow lots of new and brilliant plants for yourself. (if you have the room :-)) The seeds germinate very quickly; cuttings also root in a few days in water and very quickly in compost too. I actually like the appearance of the coloured leaves against the blue flowers. I joined a coleus group a couple of weeks ago, and was sent most generously cuttings of more than twenty named varieties, all of which I will eventually let flower for the fun of seeing what the seeds produce. I have got some lovely ones from seed too.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    18 years ago

Sorry, socks, forgot to say, yes, slugs and snails are fond of them, but not inordinately so. I believe, though I have no experience of this, that mealy bug are their particular most troubling pest. I hope I won't discover this for myself!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    18 years ago

I had problems with mealy bugs this spring. I NEVER had them before. I ended up throwing out most of them. The so called organic insecticides did nothing.

ARG!!!!!!

Tom

• mareas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I brought a plant home from the drugstore last summer that had hidden mealy bugs - they spread like wildfire through my collection (BOY did I learn about quarantine through that life experience!) until I finally noticed them - the ONLY thing that works is rubbing alcohol applied with Qtips to snare every last mealy. Most of the plants recovered fully (after losing lots of leaves to the monsters) & I finally swabbed off the last of the nasty mealies a few months later. *nightmare* ~m'

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    18 years ago

I have now decided what I will do if the worst ever happens and I do discover mealy-bugs - I will take off every leaf from my plants before I treat them with alcohol as recommended above.
    You know the type of coleus with umpteen small leaves, like Inky Fingers, for instance? I would say mealy-bugs would really be able to hide in there! My new plants from the nursery seemed fine, but I have quarantined them; I washed them immediately on arrival in warm, soapy water, too, to discourage eggs; I'm not even sure if mealy-bugs have eggs!

• lowville5 zone5b/6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Hi,

This is my first posting. Last week my husband cut down a black walnut tree because we had 3 beautiful young trees and several perennials die last year that were very close to the black walnut. I don't know if it is related, but the walnut had a major branch fall off during a summer storm. Would that stress have caused the BW to send out more juglone? Unfortunately when I had planted those trees & perennials, I did not know about this website! Consequently, I had planted all the wrong species very close to the walnut. Now that the walnut has been reduced to a 1 foot tall stump, will my new plantings survive? I did choose species listed in this forum as being BW tolerant.

I have not been able to find anything that lists tolerant annuals I could plant while waiting for these perennials to fill out.
    Could anyone tell me if Coleus is safe? If not, are there any other annuals that could thrive and block our view of the stump? It is the first thing you notice when coming down our driveway! Any advice would be much appreciated.

We do have a younger BW 25 feet away that I have never planted anything around it. Should we cut it down now as a preventative measure? I'd like to spend the rest of my life creating beautiful gardens on our 2 acre property.

I have learned so much from this forum in the past month. I wish I had known about it a few years ago when I started gardening. I would not have made so many costly mistakes. I'd really like to thank all of you generous gardeners for the time and energy you invest helping us newbie gardeners.

Jennifer

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi Jennifer, welcome to Gardenweb. You might want to start a new discussion on the Plants for difficult places forum to ask your question, or you might find a discussion where it's already been answered. Good luck!

• Ernie Martin
    7 years ago

HELP ! ! ! I am looking for seeds for the Japanese giant coleus, if you have some or know where I can get them PLEASE email me at leewalt@powerbank.net THANKS ! !

Sponsored