Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Prettiest foliage this year? Biggest?

For giant leaves, elephant ear (Colocasia esculenta) is the clear winner!

For just lookin' good, like always, I'm passionate about Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) and Coleus, with a couple new Begonias giving those a run for their money.

Loving this hanging basket too, various Plectranthus, wax Begonia, Tradescantia pallida, T. fluminensis, T. zebrina, Callisia.

Comments (18)

• JasonSong336
    10 years ago

I have been amazed at how beautiful some of the foliage of begonias are!
    I tried a lot out this year, and they were be featured in next year's garden aswell!

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

trailing coleus - Lava Rose

A must have! I bring some cuttings in every winter to make sure that I can have them the next year. But also, if I find a vendor selling them, I also purchase a few just to keep the sellers interested in offering them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, that's fantastic!

Speaking of Begonias, this isn't one, but it's called Rex Begonia vine (Cissus discolor.)

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

love it!

What a pattern on those leaves.

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

Here are my caladium - first time growing form bulbs/corms this year. Would like to get the green and white next year too. Will try to overwinter these bulbs and see how that goes.

Beside them to the left are Geranium Prince Rupert (aka Pelargonium crispum 'Prince Rupert'). Very tiny variegated leaves - lemon scented. My first year having them.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I don't know what the name of this coleus is but it does great in the sun. It is very easy to root from cuttings. The more sun this one gets, the more burgundy red it gets.
    a href="http://s569.photobucket.com/user/marg_2009/media/IMG_1151_zps6580a0fa.jpg.html"; target="_blank">{{gwi:102648}}

{{gwi:102649}}

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

Hi marric,
    I posted on the other thread where you were asking for the name of this coleus and I think it is coleus Henna.
    You have two beautiful large plants there.
    Patty

Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking it was one I've had recently, and Henna is it, I think you nailed it, Patty!

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

:) glad to be of assistance

Here is a leaf from one of my scented geraniums sold as "citronella" geranium. It does have a very lemony scent. But just look at the shape of this leaf! (It actually doesn't look like the perfect specimen now that I am really looking at it, but you get the idea.) It is such an intricate shape. I have looked at this plant all summer and appreciated the general texture it added to a grouping but not until this thread did I actually study the shape of an individual leaf.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Patty, that's quite a big leaf. I've seen scented geraniums before but the leaves on that one are double the size of the ones I've seen! Love that shade of green to. Combined with the lemony scent, that plant is one I will look for. Marg

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

Hi Marg,
    I am in Ontario and can get you cuttings ...there a few different leaf shapes available as 'citronella' I have noticed. I love just rubbing my hand in the plant as I walk past....that and basil....mmmmmm mmmmm.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Patty, I would be interested in trading. I have the coleus and some plectranthus (Swedish ivy) I could trade. I don't have a picture of that one yet but it's in Vesey's catalogue, the large silvery/grey leaves look really good trailing over the edge of planters. Thanks for the offer. Marg

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

Hi Marg,
    I sent you an email through the automated emailing in GardenWeb. Let me know if you don't get it. What I suggested was we could trade now or wait til spring if you would prefer less cuttings inside during the winter.

Everyone (which seems like we are a small handful right now on here), here is a beautifull canna I bought this year....Russian Red.

Mine didn't bloom in the pot however, I have seen ones around town which bloomed beautifully. I don't mind though as I bought it for these beautiful leaves.

• botann
    10 years ago

Here's a friend in front of one of my Gunneras.
    The leaves feel like sandpaper and the spines on the leafstalks feel like they are made out of rubber.
    Note the bloom near his left shoulder.
    Sunset Magazine calls this plant "Dinosaur Food'.
    Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Those are BIG leaves!

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

wow is right! Thanks for posting that!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Many of my Thanksgiving cacti have pretty purple foliage currently.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa 'Red Sister') is making some nice-size leaves that are quite pretty, and this flower bud!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH