Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation of Helichrysum petiolare (Lemon Licorice)

Posted by michgarden Zone 5b (MI) (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 13:46

I would like to know how to propagate Helichrysum petiolare (Lemon Licorice Plant). Can it be done by stem cuttings, like Coleus or other plants? I have tried stem cuttings a few times with no success. If not, what is the best propagation method? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation of Helichrysum petiolare (Lemon Licorice)

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 18:22

It comes very easy from either tip or interdodal cuttings. This is a different plant, but prepare cuttings like this:
Photobucket
Photobucket

It's important that the medium you use holds lots of air and doesn't stay soggy. Cut just below a node with a very sharp blade to avoid crushing the stem. Clip the leaves off the node(s) that will go in the soil, then stick the cuttings. You can use 100% perlite or a mix of almost all perlite + a little peat. I usually use the gritty mix (you might not be familiar with it). Keep the medium damp, not wet. Put the cuttings in open or dappled shade (open is best) and wait. If you think the medium is getting dry, use a spritzer to mist the soil, but not the leaves. If you're doing only a few cuttings, you can use a set-up like this:
Photobucket

or stick the cuttings in the bottom of a milk jug with the top cut off and slip the top back into the bottom. This single cutting is in a yogurt cup, but you can plant directly in the bottom of the jug. If you decide to follow this procedure, let me know & I'll offer some easy tips that will help ensure success.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Note the slits (hard to see) in the top half of the milk jug - makes it easier to nest the top down into the bottom.

This keeps humidity high in the air surrounding the cuttings. If you post a picture of a cutting, I'll give more specific direction.

Al

o
RE: Propagation of Helichrysum petiolare (Lemon Licorice)

Great tips and advices. I will definitely try it out. I have done it with stem cuttings, just like how I did with the Coleus, but I have never had any success with the lemon licorice plant. My coleus did very well though. I'm gonna try again and will let you know how it turns out.
Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here