Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippei

Dracaena Massangeana

kippei
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

Around 10 days ago after a lot of internet research I went and bought my, and my husband's, very first plant. It is a "Corn Plant" and I have such big hopes and dreams for this plant, we are newlly weds and we are both hoping that this little fellow will follow us through life.

Though I did a lot of research I feel very insecure. Is the plat known to show any signs of having changed enviroment? Except for a small accidental burn on one of the leaves (direct sunlight, I moved it as soon as I saw it and feel so guilty now) the plant doesn't really seem unhappy but when I bought it it was a green flawless plant, now I can see some scaring here and there (or am I just paranoid?).

The soil seems to have some kind of web growing on it and it looks disgusting, is this something bad or just what happens in a humid country?

Also I've heard that I shouldn't repot the plant but what if my ambition is to grown it bigger, wouldn't it need a bit more space to allow this? (Maybe the size of the pot isnt what decides this but..).

Thank you all for your time!

Comments (3)

• ronalawn82
    13 years ago

kippei, over-watering is the most common cause of decline in corn plants indoors. The few roots are at the base of the canes and are susceptible to root rot; therefore one has to know how wet the soil is, at the bottom of the pot. The best way to know this is to probe the soil at the bottom of the pot before watering. A thin wooden or metal rod will do nicely. Probes made for this specific purpose have little notches to trap bits of soil which can be rolled betweeb thumb and forefinger for moisture content.

• kippei
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank youfor your reply!
    I'm very confident that I am not over or underwatering the flower. I live in a very humid country and there has been no need to water the plan yet as the soil is still moist 2 inches down. I believe it was the location in the apartment that made him a little bit sad, now I've put the plant in the bedroom by the window where it has indirect sunligt for more than 6 hours a day. I realize that a plant just like us get scratches and that I should panic too much if I notice a small brown spot on a leaf.
    It has grown a lot already and has baby leaf coming out of various places on the trunk and it keeps shooting out new bundles of leaf out the top of the main branches so I think he is doing fine now.
    I've also given him som fertilizing.

Thank you!

• ronalawn82
    13 years ago

kippei, at the risk of being a nuisance, I have to ask, "Where does the water go?" If it remains in the saucer or decorative container then it is essential that the excess water should be discarded and the whole rootball dry out completely before the next watering. The trick is to apply just enough water so that there is no excess.
    I would advise against repotting. If you find it necessary, go up in very small steps. The more soil there is, the greater the water holding capacity and more chance of root rot.
    Assuming a 12-inch depth of rootball, a 10-inch diameter container with an existing plant has a total volume of just over 942 cubic inches (soil and roots).
    1728 cubic inches = 1 cu. ft.
    Upgrading to a 12-inch diameter container adds about 416 cubic inches of soil ONLY (which will hold additional moisture) until enough roots grow in and displace some of it.
    It is that added moisture which can lead to root rot.
    Be very miserly in fertilizing. Indoors, there is no rainfall which will leach (or wash away) fertilizer products. Often there is not enough light for the plant to use the fertilizer rapidly. As a result the products remain in the rootball and can cause leaf scorching.
    Oh! One other thing; rotate the plant (anti)clockwise a quarter circle every so often so that it leafs out evenly in all directions.
    Hope this all helps.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio