Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanr_gw

'black magic' e. ears an alocasia or colocasia?

jeanr
21 years ago

i am confused. springhill call this plant a colocasia.

elephant ears are alocasia, taro is supposed to be colocasia. can someone straighten me out on this?

thanks, jean

Comments (4)

• Nigella
    21 years ago

Hi Jean, this is the problem with common names, there are so many different ones! I believe I've heard alocasia, colocasia, xanthosoma and a few others called elephant ears, even caladiums apparently are called that in some places. I've also heard alocasia, colocasia and xanthosoma called taro. Black Magic is a cultivar name and won't change. HTH

• JohnnieB
    21 years ago

"Elephant ear" is the name applied to various members of the genera Alocasia, Colocasia, Xanthosoma. These are all big-leafed plants and can be hard to tell apart. The most commonly cultivated elephant ears (the kind you're most likely to buy as a bare dormant tuber) are Colocasia esculenta.

'Black Magic' is a Colocasia, but doesn't seem to have the dormant period like typical C. esculenta. It may be another species, or a hybrid.

• johnstrazicich
    20 years ago

i am in anaheim california, a great climate i think it is a 9-10 zone (?). wanting to grow alocasia's outside i do have black magic are there others like cuprea, and amazonica please help

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

There are lots and lots more. Check out the Aroid forum where the experts hang out, and check the webpage of the International Aroid Society, which includes a hardiness guide for many. I think you might need some advise from people in your zone in California, rather than people like me who live in what's supposed to be the same zone (it only refers to low temperatures, and doesn't take into consideration little unimportant things like humidity, which we have and you don't.)