Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID and advise needed please

Posted by bellpepperguy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 19:32

My wife had this plant at work with her for about a year indoors and she said it was doing great at the time. She changed jobs and the plant came to the new location at which point it steadily declined into what you see below. I actually just clipped off a few of the dead leaves (3 or 4) since the stalks looked pretty flat. She says the conditions are similar at her new job but as you can see the results arent. Since I dont know what the plant is it's hard for me to help her so here I am. Anyone?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID and advise needed please

Whatever it is, it's very pretty, love the purple on the back of the leaves. You might get a quicker answer on the "name that plant" or "house plant" forums.

o

The pictured plant is a variety of calathea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calathea care

o

It's definately Calathea, a type of roseo-picta.
This species of Calathea needs a little more light, 'not direct south or west summer sun,' than other Calatheas.
They also need humidity and fresh air.
Soil should be watered thoroughly, but dried a little between waterings..less water is needed in winter.

If you have a sprayer, mist daily, and offer a shower once week, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here