Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning Bush

Posted by NellieM MA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 20:22

Hello! This is my first time posting here. I am not a gardner........but I have two beautiful "Burning Bushes". I don't know them by any other name. They have green leaves during the spring and summer, until the fall, when the leaves turn red. They are really beautiful.

My question concerning them is this: What time of year would be a good time to trim them down a bit? They really are getting quite large and almost covering the house windows. I don't want to do anything that would ruin them, the neighborhood admires them and they are so pretty in the fall. Can anyone help me or send me a link as to how to take care of this? If it helps with any answers, I live in Massachusetts..........

Nellie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning Bush

Trim them any time, I do.

Go to Google.com and do a search for them.

Tom

o

Thanks for the link.........it is so close to the time they will be turning red that I thik I will wait a bit before trimming them.

o

Burning bushes are invasive plants like Norway maples that would be better off not planting.

o

Funny you should mention the Norway Maple. We foolishly planted one 33 years ago when we first moved to this house. You can guess what a mistake that was! I just this past spring convinced my husband that it was time to take that **&&!!## tree down. The roots were unbelieveable and most above ground. A tragic accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, this tree also spawned 7 others just outside our property line. One day at a time, one tree at a time. Little by little they will come down.

I do not however, find the Burning Bush invasive. This is the first time in about 10 years that we feel the need to have to trim them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here