Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alright...what's EATING my coleus?

Posted by green_frog z6PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 04 at 21:37

Are July and August pretty much an open buffet for any nocturnal squishy thing? I'm dealing with a minor "slug" event in my shade garden and have been "hunting" after dark with the very recommended "ammonia and h20" spray. It works GREAT for the hostas...they seem quite happy and hole free. But I'm assuming that these little slimy suckers are ALSO chomping on my coleus as they are in the same bed so I've been spraying them, too. But they seem to be even holier the next day. DO slugs EAT coleus, too? They don't seem to care for dark, ruffly inky fingers, but they are BIG fans of the tender greens and buttercream mixes. And on some leaves, the lighter ones, the edges have a brown stained effect - like they have been burnt although NONE of the plants get anything more than daytime dappled shade.

Does anyone know if the ammonia sparay could be hurting the coleus or if the coffee grounds that I've been sprinkling around the hostas is not to their liking? Do coleus mind a bit of acidity?

any ideas, thoughts, revelations or "DON'T DO THAT, GARDEN NEWBIE!" would be most appreciated. :)))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alright...what's EATING my coleus?

I've never heard of using ammonia and water on plants. But that doesn't mean anything. Myself, I wouldn't use ammonia. JMHO, I think it could be too harsh on the leaves. When I have those problems, I use a hot pepper spray. I've never had a problem using that. I've used that on quite a few different plants. I've read on another forum here that a lady used Tabasco sauce and water. I don't remember if she said how much. I don't think the coffee grounds will hurt anything. I use them on all my household plants. Only my hubby drinks coffee at home so I don't have much of those. But my house plants are doing fine after years of this.
Good luck on your problem!

Kat

o

Hiya, Kat! The HOSTA forum taught me the ammonia and h20...but that was for the hostas and slug control...unfortunately the coleus and hostas hang out together in the same bed...so they have been getting it too. :)) i think i'll try the hot pepper spray. Are you talking about the kind you would use on a mugger or something else? thanks! ;))

o

I make my own spray. I use about a jar of dried hot peppers, soak them in a gallon of water for a day, then strain it. I use an old spray bottle like Windex. When I spray, I just do the ground around the area, the stems and some lower leaves. I don't do the whole plant because they don't even want to climb up them when the stems are sprayed.
Good luck!

Kat

o

Green frog, I finally found the post about that tobasco sauce. It was about repelling JBs, but I'm sure it would work on any other leaf eating bug.

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: hot sauce for bugs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here