Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best NPK for a hostas

Posted by Deshima zone 7 Virginia (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 21:40

What do you think the best NPK for a hosta is for the growing season. I only use organic fertilizers how ever they can equal oil based or petroleum fertilizers. I was thinking 8-4-8 would be good or 8-8-8 as all would be balanced.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best NPK for a hostas

Are these in the ground or in pots? If in the ground and your ground is of at least moderate fertility I would give them a light to moderate amount of 10-10-10 or whatever once a year or never. I don't intend to fertilize my in ground hostas, but they grow close to annual flowers that I do fertilze so they probably get some on occasion.

Since you wish to be organic only why not just amend the area once per year with an inch or so of compost on the top of the soil.

If you were asking about hostas in pots then I don't know. haven't tried that yet.

o

I usually hang out on the hosta forum. A lot of us over there swear by alfalfa pellets for accelerating the growth on our hostas.

o

Hi Shade tolerant. How and when do you apply alfalfa pellets?

o

• Posted by Deshima zone 7 Virginia (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 19:56

Alfalfa contains a growth hormone like cholesterol, the cell walls must be broken by way of chemical or biological mean. So early spring is a good time, as it has to be above 50 degrees for decomposition to take place. PS it stinks if not worked in to the ground.Join us at the Hosta form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here