Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
resedit

Colius Propogation

resedit
21 years ago

OK- newbie here.

But that's OK- this is supposedly an easy one ;)

We have lots of gorgeous colius plants in our newly planted garden, different colorful varieties- and they are doing very well.

At the nursery they said that frequently they make it through the winter OK here if you put a paper bag over them on the coldest nights (rarely drops to freezing- most winters it never does) but some winters are too harsh, and some plants won't winter well even in normal winters.

She said just take cuttings in the fall, grow em indoors over winter, and replace the dead ones in spring from the cuttings.

I've only grown succulents from cuttings. The kind where you just stick em in the dirt and they just grow.

I've looked on the web and everyone says that coleus is extremely easy to root, and I've seen three different methods.

I assume that since they are easy any of them will work, but I'll ask here anyway-

Method One :

Take cutting. remove leaves so that only top two leaves remain. Cut remaining stem so that it is about 2 inches long. Dip stem in rooting hormone powder. Put in potting soil, mist daily to keep moist.

Method Two :

Same cutting advice, but no rooting hormone. Put in sterile pot filled with vermiculite/pete moss mixture (or perlite/pete moss). water once and put in plastic bag sealed. Keep out of direct sunlight, shouldn't need to water again until planting.

Method Three :

Same cutting advice, but no rooting hormone. Put stem in water and leave in water. When roots grow and are about an inch long, remove from water and insert into potting soil.

-=-

Method Three seems the easiest. I don't have to buy anything.

Method One also seems easy but I read a warning in method 2 to NOT use ANY potting soil until rooted because potting soil compacts when wet which can make it hard for new roots, and may contain fungus that will attack the new plant that doesn't have a good root system.

Method Two looks doable but I would need to buy pete moss (I have vermiculite- use it to incubate reptile eggs and for breeding crickets)

What do you guys do?

What would you suggest?

We want to try to grow three cuttings from each plant, so that we'll have excess we can give to friends or school (school sells donated plants as a fund raiser)

-=-

Also- several colius web sites say to clip off the bloom stocks so the plants grow more vigorously.

I kind of think the bloom stocks are very pretty.

Is it common to deprive them of blooming?

Comments (20)

• amy_z6_swpa
    21 years ago

Hi, I'm in a Coleus group and they've said again and again just to put cuttings in water in a sunny window. That's what I'm doing. It's too early for roots for me but we'll see. I'm also trying leaves. My first cutting was the top of a large stemmed plant, so I'm not sure if it's too thick (I read that the thinner the stem, the easier the rooting). It's a good 1/4" thick square stem.

As for the blooms, yes I think they're pretty too. I saw some fully formed blooms at a gas station this year. I've been pinching all my flower stalks off as soon as they appear. So far all my plants have kept going and are nicely bushy now. If you let them bloom the Coleus will fade & die afterwards, being an annual.

• amy_z6_swpa
    21 years ago

Ok, I've been "speaking too soon" all week and this is no exception: I came home today to find that my first Coleus cutting (the terminal part of the 1st plant) has tiny roots forming!!! Now I have to be hopeful for the leaf cuttings.

• suemallick
    21 years ago

...this summer I have made many baby Coleus plants from cuttings and the best method is the one to place cuttings in water and plant it in soil after the roots appear ....now I will try to do the same during winter to get new plants for next spring...these were unusual colors found in local nursery and I want them year after year....Sue

• wanda
    21 years ago

I've been rooting my coleus as "winter security" too. I just stick them in water withing a week or 2, they have roots and are ready to be planted. All you need is a 6-8" piece.

wanda

• rusty_blackhaw
    21 years ago

Just take stems 3 inches long or so, remove leaves from the lower half, stick in moist potting soil, cover with a plastic bag and stand back. No rooting hormone is ever necessary. They root well in water also, but will be set back a bit when finally planted in soil (no big deal though).

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    21 years ago

How do I know when to cut? I don't want to ruin the looks of the main plant prematurely. How much cold can a coleus take?
    Also, is their any point in bringing the main plant indoors to overwinter or is it just destined to die, being an annual... Or is coleus just "annual" in the sense that it isnt hardy in most of the zones where people want to grow it...like some "annuals" are... in which case it might live on?
    Thanks!

• mehitabel
    21 years ago

hoe hoe, they can't take a zone 6 winter, that's for sure. They will die below 32 degrees. So do something before frost. :)

Coleus make ok house plants, so bring it in if it is something you like and want to keep. Then you can make cuttings later when it gets a little lanky.

• kdjoergensen
    21 years ago

Coleus is a plant that like warm soil temperatures so even when temperatures are above freezing they can go into shock if the temperature drop is sudden.

Right about now I would just cut small pieces of the stem and root them in water or well draining soil.

You can dig the entire plant and keep indoor, but there is really no reason to. Ideally you just want small cuttings making it through winter so you can propagate them next spring again. You do not want a big coleus plant indoor for the winter (or maybe you do ??!!).

I find that coleus grown in too much shade, or indoor, tend to become leggy. I prefer to take cuttings (by pinching off the top 2-3" of a stem or of the top of the plant) and rooting the cutting. Otherwise you have some not so nice looking straggly plants to contend with....

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    21 years ago

Thank you Mehitabel and KD! Sounds like taking cuttings is probably the way to go... and considering night time temperatures are forcasted to drop about 10 degrees this coming week... I will definitely get my snips out sometime this weekend and take a few cuttings... even if I do decide to save the whole plant before it is too late (as if I am at a shortage for houseplants!), it seems likely that by cutting, I would only encourage it to take a bushier form..

• amy_z6_swpa
    21 years ago

My Coleus is all in containers on my covered back porch, and even with this past week of frosty temps, they look great. I have already taken cuttings from almost all of them, and rooted them (very easily) in water.

See my page and go to my Coleus gallery: http://www.pbase.com/ashes26

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plants

• thor
    21 years ago

I live in Central California and we get enough freezing nights to kill Coleus growng in pots or in the ground. I have been successfully growing, propagating and enjoying Coleus for over 30 years. I am a retired Middle School Science teacher and used Coleus to raise funds and entertain my students until I retired. Now I just entertain myself and friends with them. I am not an expert, but I find it hard to believe that anyone has difficulty starting Coleus from cuttings. My newest method is making a propagation chamber out of four one quart milk cartons and starting four Coleus plants in Styrofoam coffee cups. I use a mix of Perlite, Vermiculite and potting soil. If you want pictures or other information feel free to Email me direct.

• nleemcfadden
    20 years ago

I recently bought 5 different varieties of colius. I use to plant many of them while working in a nursery. Root hormone is fine, but it is easier just to take cuttings and put them in a container of water. You just need patience but they will start to root in a week. Even if you take cuttings or pinch of leaves and they wilt, they do revive in water.

Those I've planted in the ground are under attack of bugs, what is best used to rid them of pests????

• nleemcfadden
    20 years ago

P.S.

The week of "water rooting" produces roots maybe an 1/8th of inch. Let them grow a couple of weeks before potting.

• Phil_185
    20 years ago

Hi All, i find it best to just snap of a branch and put it in water, on a warm day, the cuttings can suck up to an inch of water and you see the excess dripped around the glass (it took me a while to work out where all the little pools of water were coming from). Anyhow, you must always remove the blooms to keep them bushy and the most colourful and a good cut back every once and a while does them good (by about half)
    Hope that helps a little,
    Cheers Phil.

• greenfreak
    20 years ago

I also vote for water rooting. I'm always rooting cuttings, trying different color combinations together... I have 7 pots of cuttings from the summer coleus that I had outside and one that I liberated from a plant outside my diner. It's been getting cold and it doesn't look like they're going to take cuttings before they perish so I saved a piece. :)

• ladybug_guam
    20 years ago

Juust remember: Colius love lots of sun, the more sun, the more deep color in the leaves. :)

• red5
    20 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    this is a first posting for me.I have 20 different kinds of coleus plants that i have started from cuttings. All of them came from the garden and were started in glasses of water. They're beautiful!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

But they are shrubs, not true annuals. Some seem to overwinter better than others, which makes them all the more interesting, being unpredictable! I'm only beginning with them, and we have one which is overwintering and has stayed very full, with lots of new shoots now coming from the soil under the plant.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    20 years ago

Coleus is technically a perennial, usually grown as a tender annual. I have 5 or 6 as bonsai, growing under lights indoors that are several years old. They do lignify (get somewhat woody) as they get older, but lack "persistent woody stems" so cannot be classified as a shrub. They fall in the catagory of perennial herb.

I don't know if it's been mentioned above, but those of you rooting in water will have faster strikes and better survival if you change the rooting water daily or at least often. The growing bacteria goes out with the old water and a fresh supply of oxygen comes in with the new. Using room temp water is best.

Al

Sponsored