Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgates_gw

corn plant trunk pruning

mgates
16 years ago

The top leaves of my corn plant died off and then I put the plant outside. It is now growing many, many shoots at the dirt level. There are four trunks and one of them has nothing on it. Should I cut that one down...should I cut the one that only has one shoot at the top? Should you cut these trunks at all and how and with what? They actually look like they have been cut before because the top is flat and dark with the leaves coming off the sides. Please help! Does anyone know?

Comments (4)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Mgates, sorry about your corn plant.
    I'm sure the trunks were cut back..they saw large logs, then root using one to four trunks. Those w/four are different lenghts.
    The one cane w/o any growth may have rotted..If the trunk feels soft, try pulling it out by hand. You'd be surprised. If it's rotted, just toss it.
    BTW, remove dead foliage on top of the one cane..but I'd check to see if the plant has insects first. Mealybug enjoy hiding under urn-like leaves; they're also difficult ridding. If the crown is mushy, then the plant has been overwatered. The soil from this dracaena needs to dry between watering.
    Either way, whether you cut back or wait to see if more growth forms, I'd do this is spring..now that autumn's nearing, the corn plant will go dormant. Good luck, Toni

• horse_chick
    16 years ago

Having worked as an interiorscaper for over 15 yrs I can tell you that when a Dracaena fragrans or massangeana starts sprouting from the roots, the cane is dead/dying.

Do not pull the cane out. Let the roots dry up naturally and eventually you'll be able to twist it gently out of the soil without removing all that new basal growth.

Then you can fill that hole with a good topdressing.

• salm91_clear_net
    12 years ago

Once I cut the trunk of the plant, do I place it back in soil or water to root?

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

mgates, the stalk that is sprouting near the base indicates that the upper part is dead. The lower part may still be alive. Here is how you may be able to tell.
    Starting near the top, nick the bark with a sharply pointed knife. If the tissue below is green the stalk is alive and may be able to produce new shoots. If the bark separates easily and the underlying tissue is brown,then the stalk is dead and will not produce any new growth, no matter what you do. Continue to nick the bark downwards until you see green. From that point down the stalk is alive.
    My suggestion would be to saw off the dead upper portion just above those new shoots. If you can stand the sight of them that low in the container, let them grow. If not, twist the whole stalk clockwise/counterclockwise repeatedly until you snap the (few) roots that anchor it. Remove the whole stalk and carefully slice it up (I use a sharp folding pruning saw...gently) to obtain a disc with one (or two) of those young shoots attached. Set them in a medium that will promote rooting and give them the conditions (moisture control!) to promote rooting.
    I have found perlite, just barely damp, and a bright shaded location (under an oak tree in the backyard) works very well. After rooting has taken place, lift the plant with as much perlite as possible and place all in a prepared hole in regular potting soil in a suitably sized container. Continue to manage the watering skillfully.
    My success rate is about 70%.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA