Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaretto_gw

Coleus for full sun?

amaretto
17 years ago

Hey, all

Some time ago I bumped into a website selling coleus varieties that do well under full sun (about 6 varieties or so).

Now I am looking to lanscape part of my garden with coleus and don't know what varieties so well, and I can't find that darn site anywhere... Any advice?

Comments (6)

• momamamo
    17 years ago

New Leaf Nurseries had good pictures of sun coleus...I had that page bookmarked...don't know what's available, though. Google "sun coleus" if you haven't already.

I've had so much fun with a pack of Wizard coleus seeds. The differences in the babies are amazing, and the effects change constantly as each plant develops. I've already picked my favorites to bring into the house for the winter. But now you have me curious as to whether any would be sun-tolerant! Maureen

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

I believe Singing Springs Nursery carries some sun coleus, also Color Farm and another one I can't think of at the moment. Of course what does well in the sun here in zone 4 will probably be an entirely different thing for you.

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Pineapple and Saturn are two that work well in the sun. I used them this summer. I have also used quite a few of the Solar Series for my sunny patio. I've been able to find many of these locally, but I attached a link for you that has pictures and also gives sun tolerance in the catalog entries.

Saturn & Pineapple planted in a pot in front of Baptisia australis Purple Smoke in late July. They are on the small size here because I bought them very late & leggy for a dollar apiece, and had to cut them back hard.

{{gwi:283148}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus Source

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Alabama Sunset was one. I forget the other types but you might come across the names if you researched this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Sunset @ Rosy Dawn

• BethBHauer_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Rosy Dawn has a fairly long list of sun tolerant Coleus.

• newbilac
    12 years ago

I see photos of large extravagant coleus gardens that appear from the pictures to be recieving absolutely full sun. At least from probably 10 or 11 a.m. to probably late afternoon. This drives me crazy because I have not had much luck with several of the Wizard series coleus here in zone 6a on the west side of my house where it recieves between 4 and 6 hours of unobstructed full sun from about noon on before the tree in my yard starts casting shadows on them. The ones that haven't died aren't growing very well and look "bleached" out for lack of a better term. The label on these plants said part sun - shade.

My question is. What kind of coleus do I need to be successful in this location. Or are there any coleus that can take this much sun in my zone? I am starting to think that "full sun coleus" is right up there with unicorns, and leprechauns.

I have recently purchased a Saturn coleus and a Florida sun/jade or something like that both and both of these plants are labeled for FULL SUN. I am going to keep them in pots though so that I can very gradually move them out into the location I would like for them to live and pull them back into the shade if need be. If that doesnt work I am going to try planting castor bean and elephant ears to provide a little more shade.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County