Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anela_gw

Elephant Ear is flowering!

Anela
19 years ago

Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have 4 VERY large bulbs that I put in this spring and two of the bulbs now have flowers....Large flowers! I have NEVER seen this before and didn't even know that it was possible. One of the flowers is yellow long cone shaped and I assume will get taller b/c it's still opening up. The other just came out this morning so I can't tell what color it is. My friend who has been gardening for 20+ years has never had this happen. I am sooooo happy!!!!

Anela

p.s. I took some pics. yesterday when I discovered it, will take more today and try to post.

Comments (8)

• lotsaplants
    19 years ago

That is really cool! You should check with the Aroid forum....they know lots about E.E.s and can tell you how unusual it is. I've sure never had it happen.
    Sharon

• Anela
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks I posted it there, but I will post pictures here also
    Anela

• smurfboy
    17 years ago

my upright elephant ears are blooming, I have the green and black uprights, flowers are like those of a peace lily but longer and skinny. I had the regular elephant ear to set buds 3-4 years ago, but it got cold and they didn't have time to open up, the trunk of the elephant ear was the size of a small tree trunk, and I bet the plant itself weighed 150 pounds without dirt. I had lots of babies!

• Jen26
    17 years ago

Wow, I just noticed that mine are flowering, too. They are HUGE elephant ears, and like smurfboy's, have trunks the size of a small tree. The flowers are yellow, and look just like peace lily flowers, but much bigger. I bet the biggest is 12". They have a very strong fragrance, which I'm not sure if I like or not. These were EEs purchased last spring at Walmart, with no name other than "Elephant Ear." The bulbs were about the size of a softball, maybe smaller. They are giant, probably 6 or 7' tall and the individual leaves are up to 40". I have them in soil that's been heavily ammended with compost and I think they're pretty happy.

• heifer32
    9 years ago

I to have planted 2 elephant ear plants this summer. I bought my bulbs from walmart. I have had a flower come up 3 days ago. I now have another flower coming up on the same stock. I have never in my life seen this before. I am not doing anything special to my plant. I was wondering why and how does the elephant ear plant produce flowers. How rare is this?
    I live in Southern Oklahoma. Can anyone give me any info on this. Thanks I am new to this site. I have planted elephant ears
    before, but never had this happen. I am sooooo excited about this.

• littlemean
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I also have the elephant ears and I dig them up at the end of summer ever year and put them back out every spring . For the last five years all of mine have been blooming peace Lilly type flowers. But I have noticed that where they are blooming my leafs get smaller.

• jackiewhite4350
    7 years ago

What are we supposed to be doing with the EE flowers? I have a ton but don't want to kill them. Also an old man I work with said once the EE dies to take a clear piece of plastic and cover the ground over the bulbs and mulch thickly during the winter and I wouldn't have to dig them up. He said he has been doing it for years and his are doing perfect. I live in Alabama and we don't have bad winters. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting