Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wierd Monstera

Posted by eaglemama Seattle (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 03 at 17:39

I bought a Monstera about a month ago. Since then it has been doing fine.......but I noticed something rather strange....this guy has no air roots; nor can I see any place where some mistaken greenhouse worker might have cut them off (some do you know). There is new leaf growth, but no sign of air roots. Also it almost looks as though there are 3 or 4 plants all potted together. I plan to repot and was going to put in a spagham moss pole for it to climb....now I'm wondering. Any ideas? This guy is fairly good sized....about 3 feet.

Nancy in Seattle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wierd Monstera

Hi Nancy. I imagine aerial roots will form eventually.
Regarding looking like there are many plants potted
together, your plant is probably the result of tissue
culture propagation. I saw some Monsteras just the other
day at Target exactly like this. They grow as a small cluster of many plants right from the beginning. Originally it was thought that plants from tissue culture are free of any virus that the original plant may have had. Now I've heard that a virus can be transferred. At any rate, tissue culture plants are always bushier and more full than plants from cuttings.
Russ
central Fla

o
RE: Wierd Monstera

Hi Russ, Thanks for the input. I have decided not to repot yet....only wanted to do so to have it in a prettier pot. I have a huge basket and I put it in that (pot & all) with an Alocacia (sp) in it"s own pot beside it. Maybe letting it get really good and root bound will encourage air roots.

Nancy in Seattle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here