Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Way to Start Coleus Cuttings-For Coleus Lovers!

Posted by nova z9 Ocklawaha (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 18:56

What is your favorite way to start coleus cuttings and what are you secrets for over wintering them? Now that it is getting to be the time for some of our more northern friends to start bringing them in I thought this would be a timely topic. I also wanted to mention that I have started a thread on the Round Robin Exchange for Coleus cuttings. Jump over there and check it out! nova

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Way to Start Coleus Cuttings-For Coleus Lovers!

• Posted by nova z9 Ocklawaha (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 10:29

WOW! Can't believe this is still here! Bumping it on down! nova

o

Nova, my favorite way to root Coleus is by cutting off a 4" stem, remove bottom leaves then sticking in water..they root fast, though I have to say, quicker in spring. I've got one rooting now, in case mom decides to kick the bucket this winter. After roots are about 3", I then place in soil..I've got mom in a west window right now, and keep outside in summer..Toni

o

I'm new to this forum so I hope don't offend anyone by jumping in with my two cents worth.I too take cuttings, but root mine directly in a light potting medium. I currently have 25 varieties rooted in 4 in. pots, waiting for me to transplant them into larger pots. Some will winter in my south window, some will be under lights in my basement. Most will rotate between the two.

o

Host, welcome..Don't feel you're offending anyone..we all have our own ways of rooting, watering, feeding, etc. What works for you may not work for me and visa versa.
I've tried rooting Coleus in soil w/o success, but it sure doesn't mean it can't be done. And you proved yourself by experimenting and finding you can root in soil.
For some reason, I find rooing plants in water is easier, except for Cactus, succulents, and African Violets..then it's definatly soil..Toni

o

• Posted by nova z9 Ocklawaha (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 7:35

Host, I don't visit here often but welcome anyway! As far as rooting coleus, I have no luck in rooting in water! I do just as you suggested, stick them in a little moist potting soil and they take off! nova

o

It's amazing how some ppl have luck rooting cuttings in water and others in soil. But, whatever works best is the way to go. I wish I had luck rooting in soil, cause I could go from step one and be set, instead of step one to step two..lol...Toni

o

All ways work for me. Water, soil and even directly in the garden.
This is late and you are probably done but...
When I root in water, I use a glass bottle, keep the water changed and watch the level. Also I don't crowd too much and try to keep the varieties seperate. Sometimes one type will rot quickly while others are more tolerant. They root very quickly. But it is easy to get lazy and leave them there. Eventually they will rot, some varieties more than others. If that happens, sometimes I will take a snip off the mushy tip, change the water and start again. If the roots start to turn brown instead of that nice white, you know you are really taking your time potting up your cuttings! It is easy to do because sometimes they seem like they can stay there forever. BTW, in a glass vase, the cuttings make a beautiful bouquet.
When I root in soil, I soak the soil, let it drip drain and then I put the pot inside an open baggie - opening up, and just keep an eye on it. If it is going to wilt, I might close the bag until the cutting gets going. Then I open the bag again. If it doesn't wilt after a couple of weeks, I roll it down and take it out. I leave it out as long as the leaves stay firm which they usually do.
Then sometimes in the summer, I will knock a good piece off by mistake. I just stick the whole thing in the ground and it takes hold. I suppose the soil isn't dried out but I don't pamper it either.
Finally, you should take cuttings before frost takes a bite. Once you get a little brown spotting on the stem going, the cuttings stay sickly or don't thrive. You will be lucky to save it then.

o

Getting ready for winter - just about everything here rooted. Unfortunately because I traveled a bit in the fall, I neglected to pot up on time and they got waterlogged. I did end up losing a couple of favorites. It is totally my fault as the cuttings will warn you when your dragging your feet - the bottom-most leaves will start fading and dropping off and the roots start to darken. Also for the first time, I found two or three varieties infested with mealy bugs so they were automatically trashed.

o
RE: also

These are fresh cut BTW so they didn't show roots yet but if you click on the picture and look at the most left vase in the back row (and your eyes are good), you will see some roots floating in the water of an earlier cutting.

o

Mine is quite simple. Fill a shallow container with Vermiculite or Perlite and will up with water to soil level.
The planting medium will hold the cuttings upright and you can arrange them by name that way.

o

Does anyone know why cuttings curl up when potted in water? I just made my cuttings yesterday and the stems all curled up when I checked on them this afternoon. Each cutting was placed on a separate can of water and water was filled until it covered a little above the lowest nodes.

In addition to the curled stems, the leaves also seem to be curling a bit. Does anyone know what's happening to my cuttings? Are they wilting or dying? What should I do to save them or keep them healthy.

Please help! Thank you in advance.

o

Does anyone know why cuttings curl up (and out of the water) when potted in water? I just made my cuttings yesterday and the stems all curled up when I checked on them this afternoon. Each cutting was placed on a separate can of water and water was filled until it covered a little above the lowest nodes.

In addition to the curled stems, the leaves also seem to be curling a bit. Does anyone know what's happening to my cuttings? Are they wilting or dying? What should I do to save them or keep them healthy.

Please help! Thank you in advance.

o

Gardeningmaybe, I answered your question where you asked it in another location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here