Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone heard of ajana?

Posted by North53 2b Manitoba (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 03 at 22:49

That's the only name it came with. I can't find out anything at all. It is very attractive. The leaves are edged in white. The leaves are elongated and lobed at the tip. They whorl around the stem. It was trouble free all summer. I'm trying to take slips to see if I can winter it indoors. Hope someone knows more about this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone heard of ajana?

• Posted by BarbC coastal SC (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 8, 03 at 22:52

Ajuga, maybe?

o

No Barb, it is definitely not ajuga. Both nurseries here were selling it as basket filler, but no info other than the name ajana.

o

Well I've accidently answered my own question. I was glancing through a perennial book, and the picture just jumped off the page. It is Chrysanthemum pacificum also sold as Ajania pacifica described as a stunning, season-long fogiage display. The leaves are smooth and shiny, not at all like the usual chrysanthemum. It is rated zone 5-9 so will not be hardy for me. Do you think I could winter a piece in the house? Also, wouldn't it be helpful if nurseries labeled their plants correctly?

o

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 26, 03 at 10:32

I grow the Chrysanthemum pacifica outside here in a container. I had noticed they changed the name but I'm still stuck with the old.

I think it might do okay in the house if you have a well lighted window. Mine puts out long lanky stems which I sorta like, but it can be trimmed back regularly to grow short and compact. It has tiny bright gold blooms in fall, very nice with the white-edged ruffled leaves. It makes a good groundcover as it constantly puts up new growth.

I'd pot it up in somewhat sandy fast-draining soil, water sparingly in house. It roots as easily as Coleus, so you could just take cuttings for your pot.

Good luck. jo

o

Thank you Jo for the info. So far I've had no luck getting my cuttings to root, however. I might try just digging up a piece of the plant. Em

o

I just got one yesterday, and it is also called only Ajana. I was thinking to overwinted it in the house also, and now I will add it in my silver garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here