Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Resin

Posted by gofgethsemane none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 23:29

Hi,

I have a couple of Ming aralias about 1 foot in height each. They are a few years old now and one of them isn't doing so well because I tried re-potting it. It has withered and the foliage is now drooping and losing strength. However, for some reason it has begun to produce some kind of resin or gum as there is a clear substance that has formed all over the plant. Many leaves are covered and it looks as though the plant is perspiring. Drops of it also appear in various places around the plant. I took a sample of it and it feels like sap from a tree but can also become hard when almost like dried Elmer's glue.

I was hoping someone could tell me for sure what the substance is or where I could find more information on it. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Resin

gofgethsemane, guttation springs to mind but the exudate is not usually sticky. Here is a Q&A on the subject.
Q. I am the client of an interiorscape company. We have aralias that produce a sticky substance that drips on everything. I have asked that they fix the problem or replace the plants. Nothing is being done. What is the normal procedure for dealing with this type of plant problem?
A. Your plants have either scale or mealybug, plant pests that produce a sticky substance called honeydew. By the time there's enough of it to drip, you've got an infestation that is probably impossible to control indoors. The plants should be replaced, and your contractor should know that and act on it immediately
Source:click here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here