Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodie_wa

Help Identifying Plant and Seeds!

Foodie_WA
18 years ago

We have a strange plant in our yard that I can't identify. I am worried, because it has orange seeds that my two year old just ate. I called poison control and they couldn't identify it either. The nurseries are all closed already tonight. Can anyone help me identify this?

The plant is short and the leaves look a lot like the leaves on an iris plant or a tulip plant. Then there are these long thin branches with a two inch pod on the end that opens and has two rows of orange seeds that look like corn kernels. The pods all opened up at the same time about a month ago. The seeds are bright orange and there are about 8 per row.

Comments (12)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Maybe Belamcanda - Blackberry Lily. I knw berries trn black but maybe orange beforehand? Also thinking maybe Crocosmia...will send photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belamcanda

• Josh
    18 years ago

Here's lots of seeds/berries...check Crocosmia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds & Seedpods

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I know you posted quite awhile ago...but is your child all right now? Or have you determined which plant you have there? If you don't know yet, any chance of sending a photo (in e-mail to me if you're able)?

~Rosemarie

• Josh
    18 years ago

Could you dig up plant to see if it is a bulb?
    Will help narrow down search.

I posted over on Name That Plant Forum to get help...

So scary...let me know please what you learn...surely hope nothing poisonous. josh

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

Iris foetidissima?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:778228}}

• Josh
    18 years ago

Carol...great photo, and I'm glad you and Rosemarie chimed in here. Sure hope we hear some good news soon.

Found this site re toxic plants which will be helpful once the plant is identified. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic Plants

• Foodie_WA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help. My daughter is just fine. She had absolutely no reaction (we watched her closely in conjunction with Poison Control last night). But the pod looks a lot like the one that Carol23 posted. I also jumped on the site that Josh shared and found a photo of Iris (Iridaceae) that is exactly like what we have. I thought the leaves looked like an Iris. I've just never seen the orange seeds/pods before. I removed all the pods and seeds from our yard today, so we shouldn't have any trouble from here. Thank you so much for your help and concern.

• Josh
    18 years ago

That is such a relief...whew! So glad your little one is fine. Thanks for letting us know...josh

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Oh, that's so GOOD to hear! Glad poison control helped you monitor your daughter.

I had no idea what seeds/pods look like on an Iris either. Good thing Carol does!

Josh, nice to see people have concern for others & DO something about it! Good on you!

~Rosemarie

• flora_uk
    18 years ago

Sounds like Iris foeditissima - Stinking Iris. Does the bruised foliage smell a bit like overdone roast beef? It has a rather insignificant mauvey flower (yellow in the variety 'citrinum') and has these orange berries all Winter. it will self seed. Don't know if it's poisonous. It's a native of woods over here.

• battilanaqueen
    14 years ago

I apologize for not having a picture to post, but I have been searching for hours to find the name of my plant.
    I have this plant in a pot and it needs partial shade (burnt it in full sun). It is about 3 feet tall right now and has stems coming out from the bottom. The leaves are two shades of green with a maroon color on the bottom. It blooms small flat like flowers that are red (like a bleeding heart) under the leaves in a cluster. One stem supports several flowers. The leaves are an odd shape...say like your looking at a drawn heart, but one side is very small verses the other.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have two broken stems that I placed in water....they are thriving, but I want to know if I can put them in dirt to root so I will have additional plants.
    Thank you so much for your help.

• madrone
    12 years ago

Sorry I didn't see this question sooner. The iris that forms large seed pods with orange seeds is Iris foeditissima or Stinking Iris. I didn't know it was poisonous, only that the deer don't seem to bother it. That may be why! So glad to hear that your daughter is fine.
    Here's a link with some info about this iris: http://www.first-nature.com/flowers/iris_foetidissima.php

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz