Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
optiwench

coleus problems

optiwench
10 years ago

I fell in love with coleus! I have a black thumb and after researching I decided I should be able to grow them. Wrong! I'm having some problems. I have several Carnival. One on the front porch with AM sun is colorful, one is dull. The deep red ones are dull and lifeless on the front porch and dull on the back porch with PM sun. A Carnival in the back porch is pale and sickly. The yellow-green are doing well in the sun or shade in one pot and dying in the next pot. They are all planted in Miracle Grow potting soil with extra perlite added to facilitate draining and I water every couple of days if the soil is dry. The Painted Ladies are doing well no matter where they are. The nursery where I purchased the original 6 said they were good in either sun or shade, and I grew another 40 from seeds. I do not know the official names. I have two that are supposed to be Alabama sunrise, but it looks nothing like pictures I've seen. They are green, light green, cream and a dash of purple. They too are doing well. one with PM sun and one with AM. The deep red ones I tried in dappled sun, but it s now faded and feeble. I have put many long hours into this project and cannot find any consistant help on line. I don't seem to be doing anything wrong, I'm trying different light amounts. Please help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida