Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katsu_gw

Heuchera fall colors

katsu
18 years ago

I bought several heucheras late summer/early fall and they're showing such wonderful color changes! Marmalade is leading the pack with the most shades and drama, but the others are gorgeous, too. I'm posting a couple of photos and would love to see which ones you're growing and hear about your favorites...gotta be heuchera lovers out there! :-)

Creme Brulee

{{gwi:778419}}

Marmalade

{{gwi:778420}}

Comments (7)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Wow, beautiful photos of stunning color. Our temps here in summer aren't the best for growing Heuchera although I of course tried 'Palace Purple' many years ago. After seeing your photos I immediately checked Plant Delights whose recommendations for our muggy heat I trust. They give 'Creme Brulee' high marks even in full sun so I'll definitely try this one. So many beautiful new Heuchera cultivars that I've reluctantly passed by...I think your photos have convinced me to try again. Thanks, josh

• katsu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Josh...I hope mine survive the winter! They were planted much later than I would have preferred, but I kept finding such gorgeous plants I couldn't resist. Go for it! Even if you have to experiment with several locations, I'll bet you'll find a good spot that agrees with Creme Brulee.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

You've got some beauties there! I've got several purplish leaf ones and a few that are a marble colored leaf. They're all beautiful now with the cooler weather. My favorites though are the purplish ones. I have Ruby Veil, Can Can, Regina, Obsidian and Plum Pudding. They stay a beautiful reddish-purple all summer as long as they get 6 hrs of sun. These plants are one of my favorite for the garden. When the snow melts in spring I already have the purple leaves showing.
    Katsu, as long as they don't sit in soggy ground they should make it thru the winter fine. I've never had a problem in 8 yrs and we have gotten down to 8 below.
    Enjoy!

Kat

• woodlandpixie
    18 years ago

My favorite heuchera for fall is the fall blooming (tall white bottlebrush bloom) heuchera villosa Battered Bride. The leaves are big ,hairy, light green, and oakleaf shaped. The mound gets quite large 2 1/2' x 2 1/2'. After 3 years I was able to divide mine into 5 pieces in the spring and got good blooms on the 2 larger pieces this fall.
    Pixie

• woodlandpixie
    18 years ago

Ooops, that's Autumn not Battered, thinking of another plant. Lime Rickey is a clean lime color that compliments the yellow green center stripe of the variegated holly fern Arachniodes simplicior variegata. Mildish winter so they still look good, although the Rickey is flat.
    Still not sure about Heuchera villosa Caramel, 1st yr so no bloom yet, leaf color more acidic ochre than honey.
    Pixie

• SunnySmiles51
    18 years ago

I would love some baby Heauchera if anyone would share some with me, I would be so thrilled I cannot say....
    I just started with one called Purple Ruffles or Purple Palace and sowed some seeds from a few others.
    I have just about any plant you could want and winter sowed tons of new things so just ask.
    Seeds I have galore as you can see from my trade page.
    I have not put my plants on there yet as I am still working on that.
    Sunny

• janicesgarden_wa
    18 years ago

Heuchera or Coral Bells genus of Saxifragea family. I have 65 species of Heuchera's as well as many of the Hybrids including the Tiarella's. I started collecting them 2 1/2 years ago, it's getting harder to find ones, I don't have... I have gone as far as revamping a big flower bed just to include additional Heuchera's! We also have have a big display of them in Flower pots just as you enter our back yard many differant colors, people are surprised to see how many colors they have. I like them because of the foliage color almost all season long! Dividing them in the early spring gives you more plant to share with other people. I like to share them with friends and family.
    Happy Heuchera Hunting!
    Fellow HeucheraAlochollics!
    If you like you can e-mail me on questions about Heuchera's.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES