Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do polka dot plants flower??

Posted by kjtessanne 5 S WI (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 02 at 12:19

Do these flower? I thought I had a coleus (what my friend told me) but it looks more like a big polka dot plant. However, when she gave it to me it had tall spikes with purple flowers.

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do polka dot plants flower??

Hallo Kim,

Yes, they do flower just as you described.

Susan

o

...I love polka dot plants ,in winter I chop off the entire plant with just couple of inches with the roots in soil and by spring I have new lush plant...I have many shades of red and pink and white ones....they are great foliage plants...Sue

o

• Posted by zhmel z5 - Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 13, 04 at 12:26

mine has actually been flowering through the winter this year (no idea why). i don't have much colour in the foilage, but the flowers are a light purple and are fairly small and grow quite close to the stalk.

o

The flowers are tiny, you can easily miss them. Tall spikes sound more like coleus. Unless it's a different variety of hypoestes, that could be.

o

can polka dots be rooted in water ?
thanks,
rachel

o

Re Suemallick's comment...where do you live? I'm in Michigan. I didn't know these are perennial, but if so, I'm thrilled because I just planted an entire flat.

o

Kim, is there any way that you could let us see a picture? I don't think that your description of the flower fits at all. I think of Hypoestes phyllostachya flowers as being axillary, single flowers. I'm guessing that your plant is something else entirely.

For those asking about the real 'Polka Dot Plant '...it is considered a small shrub in its native tropical environment. It can be grown from stem cuttings, though I'd stick them in a good potting soil rather than water.

o

Lovingretirement, if you have Hypoestes, it is indeed a perennial, but far too tender to cold to survive outside in MI. It's possible to keep it alive by bring it inside for winter, if interested. This pot was put together in spring '12, so starting a 3rd year. After the flowers are finished, cut off the tall stalks for new growth from the base.

(With Impatiens, cane Begonia, Coleus.)

o

purple flowers so beautiful, I really like them

Here is a link that might be useful: trung cấp y tế hà nội

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here