Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ear...dripping?

Posted by adelphus 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 22, 04 at 12:37

I couldn't bear to watch my Elephant Ear die so I dug it up before it went dormant. Needless to say all the original leaves died.

Saddened, I cut them all down to the bulb and put the pot in a dark corner. Then, quite amazingly, leaves started shooting out of the bulb stumps so fast you could literally see it grow. But then something odd happened.

It started dripping from the leaf tips. I'd wipe it away but a new perfect drop would form in it's place. I was sitting under it one day and a drop would fall on me about every 15 minutes, so it's pretty constant.

Does anyone know what my plant doing and why is it doing it? And is it dripping water or something else?
-Anie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ear...dripping?

EE are a slobber mouth breed! ( like newfoundlands!) Don't worry.
The plain types are easy to store. The fancier might need special handling. LMK what kind. I have learned by trial and error.
You do have it in a cool dark dry place right?
karen

o

I brought my EE in the house where it is in the dark, damp, cool basement and it has little drips also. But...I hardly water it and it is still growing/thriving. This is my first EE that I've overwintered and am quite happy with it. Any other ?'s lmk...

o

• Posted by luxum 9/10 Tampa FL (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 1, 05 at 9:39

I think what you are describing sounds like guttation. Is the potting mix wet? Generally, from what i understand, when the leaves of aroid species do this, they are attempting to rid themselves of excess water.

o

• Posted by qbirdy z5 Central NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 21, 05 at 18:53

My EEs drip all the time. I have small and large types, and if they are dry or not doesn't seem to stop the dripping. I did find that the drippings can hurt other plants-my little banana sure didn't like the ee drool!! I haven't found anything to stop them, and it doesn't seem to hurt them at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here